What's new

Vise / Anvil

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well...in 1978 I was walking home along the tracks in the town where I lived then. "My, what a nice looking chunk of rail!" I thought. It was just a cutoff chunk that somebody had tossed to the side. Picked it up, carried it home. Except for almost ripping three toes off on it in 1980, it's been all good.

Now, that was in another country in another century and one could still do things like that. Here in Canada, you don't go on the rails unless you're looking to get at least a strongly-worded lecture from a rail cop. In fact, I see signs in all the scrap yards notifying customers that they will take indentification information on anyone who brings in rail, and turn that information over to the police. Fake ID? Hah. Better have a fake face to go with it; they take pictures.

Six Degrees of Separation works. Ask around. Somebody you know knows somebody who knows how to get a chunk of rail. A flat of two-four or a bottle of Jim oughta be sufficient to create a trade.

O.H.

I went with attacking it from six distinct angles with my cheap 4 1/2" angle grinder. I wore three 40 grit cut off disks down to just below the 4" diameter before there was too much interference to cut deeper.

I also used a metal blade in my sawzall to help mark the alignments for my 6 different cuts.

Finally, my bench grinder and my bench sander cleaned it up. Fun project!

View attachment 1355990

Nice job!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
About 2 miles from me there are half a dozen 10 or 8 or 12 foot lengths of old rail just lying next to the tracks. I look at those things every time I stop at the RR crossing. They've been there for at least 5 years, probably 10. I always dream that I sneak back there after dark and have about 10 old friends help me "borrow" one, lol. I don't know why the RR hasn't picked them up yet. Probably figger ain't nobody fool enough or strong enough or stoopid enough to steal them!

Nice anvil you have made from the train rail.

For a companion idea, a wooden stand could make it easier to use both sides. I first saw a youtube video titled "The most essential tool for your garage or workshop", a video suggested by youtube.....perhaps because I had viewed this thread. But here is a shorter video showing the same stand design made a few years earlier. Titled "Making a Rail Anvil Stand":

Legion

Staff member
Nice anvil you have made from the train rail.

For a companion idea, a wooden stand could make it easier to use both sides. I first saw a youtube video titled "The most essential tool for your garage or workshop", a video suggested by youtube.....perhaps because I had viewed this thread. But here is a shorter video showing the same stand design made a few years earlier. Titled "Making a Rail Anvil Stand":
That's pretty cool, but time consuming.

Upset that my photos are gone so will add the ones deleted,

DSCN3398.JPG
DSCN3400.JPG
DSCN3401.JPG

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
In the process of building out a basement workbench. Figured posting this picture might prompt me to hurry up.

Below is a Wilton machinist torpedo vise that was saved from the scrap pile. It is now in my basement, awaiting tear down, cleaning, and installation. Keeping an eye on eBay for a matching swivel base. There's just something that feels right about reclaiming stuff.

75B3B6EB-5C9A-44E9-AB5C-12AA508B68EB.jpeg

Top Bottom