What's new

Viscosity

I would like to get some of your opinions on which shaving soaps provide the best viscosity. The kind of soap that will remain slick when splashed with water after shaving so you can hit those trouble areas again without re-lathering. Right now I am using Caswell-Massey 1752 brand in the Sandalwood fragrance. It is OK for now but I am always looking to improve the quality of the wet shave that I enjoy so much.
Thank you for your input and your interest!!

Some soaps are definitely better at keeping a good lube going right after a rinse.
Actually, I think for the relevant task creams would be a better bet overall, but any soap that will give you a nice thick lather should suffice. Palmolive, and Col. Conk come to mind as affordable and completely serviceable.

FWIW I've never tried any of them, but I have never heard a good thing said about any Caswell Massey soap. You should definitely upgrade.

I have not yet had the privilege of trying it but I hear from the reviews that Ogallala shaving soap provides great lubrication, above and beyond. The lather itself is weird, but much improved by a recent reformulation (again, I am going strictly off of word of mouth).

It's pretty cheap.

Though I agree most good soaps will work. I find that Crabtree & Evelyn is better at lathering up than at providing razor glide, so though it is still a worthy soap I might not recommend it specifically. And yes, Caswell Massey has pretty unfavorable reviews, fwiw.

I would like to get some of your opinions on which shaving soaps provide the best viscosity. The kind of soap that will remain slick when splashed with water after shaving so you can hit those trouble areas again without re-lathering.
Relather.

Honestly.

Don't expect magical properties from a soap (which by by near definition is water-soluble), any soap for that matter, once it's been splashed with water.

Relather.

Honestly.

Don't expect magical properties from a soap (which by by near definition is water-soluble), any soap for that matter, once it's been splashed with water.

+1

If your lather routine doesn't end up making enough for a couple passes, just leave a little on your brush/in your bowl and apply with a finger. If you only need to hit a couple trouble spots, that should do the trick. It just takes a moment. I face lather VDH and just make enough for one pass at a time. I usually only do one pass, so a little left on the brush saves me from having "tufts" of shadow later in the day.

Relather.

Honestly.

Indeed! The soap you mentioned leaves much to be desired.

There are many more soaps that will provide a (very) much better shave experience.

Different soaps for different folks... You need to try different ones to see which is right for you. Some are more or less soluble, and some that are harder to wash off might do the trick for you--assuming you like those soaps.

But I agree with the others here. Once you actively rinse the soap off, you should relather. Maybe it's ok if you're just going back over an area quickly, as you do with blade buffing.

I would like to thank everyone who share their opinions. I did not know that Caswell-Massey was rated so poorly. I guess the next step for me is to buy a couple of different soaps and try them.
Once again thank you and look later on for my reviews and progress!!!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I would like to thank everyone who share their opinions. I did not know that Caswell-Massey was rated so poorly. I guess the next step for me is to buy a couple of different soaps and try them.
Once again thank you and look later on for my reviews and progress!!!

I have heard that Caswell-Massey reformulated and may possibly perform better than what many of us remember as Caswell-Masochist.

One good one to try that many others on here can relate to is Tabac. There are better, but this one is a very good soap for the price and is universally known around the world. Once you have a standard, then go from there. After trying a few, the reviews will even make more sense to you and you can make your future selections more wisely.

Top Bottom