What's new

Virginia/VaPer suggestions?

So I've been smoking in my friend's garage once or twice a week since my wife doesn't quite approve of me smoking in the home. We both enjoy tobacco. He smokes cigars. I smoke my pipes. We read newspapers. Magazines. Debate about politics (he's a raging Marxist, God love him). And play chess.

I've been smoking a few blends off and on. No aromatics because they scorch my tongue. I tried smoking Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe one morning and quite honestly, just didn't like it. I don't know if it is the blender or what. I know I've taken a hiatus since my college days smoking my pipe and I remember EMP being "sweeter," but this just turns bitter and rancid. Even in a new corncob (if anyone likes the new EMP, let me know. You can have my mason jar). I do like Balkan Sasieni but I smoke that very rarely. Englishes, I guess, aren't my thing.

VaPers though. I'm really enjoying Escudo. So far it is my favorite. I love the smell of it in the tin. And the taste mid bowl reminds me of a bowl of cardamon seasoned raisins.

Someone said to try out Davidoff's Medallion Flakes, and I've got that on the way. Along with some Union Square. With that said, anything that I might like if I'm looking for something not loaded with latakia?

You already have Escudo so that takes one off my list. Hal O' The Wynd by Rattray sounds right up your alley. It is really really fantastic 'baccy.

You already have Escudo so that takes one off my list. Hal O' The Wynd by Rattray sounds right up your alley. It is really really fantastic 'baccy.

I'll have to try that! I've heard some good things about Hal. I tried liking Dunhill EMP, but maybe latakia isn't my thing. I enjoyed Balkan Sasieni, surprisingly, but I think that was just on a few rare occasions. And I'll smoke it after a large meal.

I remember being a lightweight when it comes to some of those full bodied English blends. Back in college, friends and I in the Classics department would smoke Dunhill's Nightcap, and it would knock me on my butt. I remember one occasion smoking it after a faculty/student luncheon, and I had to go back to my dorm to take a nap it hit me so hard. Escudo has a bit of a nicotine punch, but it is a lot mellower than those.

Dunhill Nightcap is potent stuff, I agree. It's not for no good reason that it's called the "black coffee" or "whiskey neat" of the 'baccy world. I definitely don't smoke it during daylight hours!

If its not too much of a hijack, do you guys mind going into VaPers and what they are like? I have been working through various Latakia blends after years of burly blends but have yet to try VaPers. What are they like comparatively? Do they have the sweetness of Virginias or are they spicy or what? I have an unopened tin of Haddos Delight from GL Pease waiting for me, is this a good example of what to expect from other VaPer blends?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
One more HoTW lover here. JrCigar had great prices on it too. And while you are there pick up some Marlin Flake too :wink:

HOTW (CommanderQuan will be along shortly), SG FVF, Escudo, SG Marlin Flake, Westminster Brigade Commander, Irish Oak, and Orlik Golden slice.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Besides the usual ones that have already been named i really like
C&D Interlude
Esoterica Dunbar
Former's Birdseye Flake
Wessex Brigade Sovereign Curly Cut
And the perennial favorite McCelland 2015

C&D's Exhausted Rooster isn't a typical VaPer, but it has no latakia in it, and is mellowed on the VA side by some burley. I like it more than a straight VaPer.

Dunbar is a good VaPer once you get past the dirty sock smell coming form the tin.

dirty sock smell you say...that doesn't sound very appetizing. I haven't really gotten into any VaPer yet. Is this tin note something you can expect from most VaPer, or just dunbar?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Some Perique blends smell more sour than others. This particular blend was smelled SOUR, but none of that carried over to the actual flavor of the blend. I like Dunbar because it is different than many of the other more prevalent VaPers which tend to get a spicy kick from the perique.

Dunbar is a good VaPer once you get past the dirty sock smell coming form the tin.

I could see perique coming across that way to some when they smell it. To me, it smells almost the same as corn silage from the farm when I was growing up... but it makes sense... cut vegetation, wet aged under pressure for some period of time... they have similarities and such.

Top Bottom