What's new

Vintage Williams vs Modern Williams Lather Comparison

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here’s a video comparing vintage williams and modern williams lather. Vintage williams is the clear winner in my book. But the modern preforms well too. You can see in the video the difference in lather. I tried to lather them exactly the same but that’s really hard to do. I’m sure you all can point out what I did wrong and I’d be happy to hear it. Maybe next time I’ll compare them when I don’t actually need to shave.

The vintage Williams produces a heavier, thicker lather than the modern williams.

3:45 is where the Modern lather starts
8:00 is where the Vintage lather starts
10:30 is where I lather half my face with Vintage & half with Modern
12:00 is where the shaving starts
15:15 is where lathering for the second pass starts

Last edited:
Vintage Williams lathers up a lot faster, too.

I would argue that the first time you lathered the modern Williams and said you thought there might be too much water in it the problem was really that it needed more water. Not a fan of modern Williams but it seems to work better with more water and a longer lathering time.

Nice video, though. Thanks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I always attributed a light airy (bubbly) lather to too much water. Can always try it again!

Here’s a video comparing vintage williams and modern williams lather. Vintage williams is the clear winner in my book. But the modern preforms well too. You can see in the video the difference in lather. I tried to lather them exactly the same but that’s really hard to do. I’m sure you all can point out what I did wrong and I’d be happy to hear it. Maybe next time I’ll compare them when I don’t actually need to shave.

The vintage Williams produces a heavier, thicker lather than the modern williams.

3:45 is where the Modern lather starts
8:00 is where the Vintage lather starts
10:30 is where I lather half my face with Vintage & half with Modern
12:00 is where the shaving starts
15:15 is where lathering for the second pass starts

Good video! For my part I don’t have any difficulty lathering both, I have to admit that the modern version needs technic to work but when you got it it’s easy like 123. Has for the quality of the lather(this is my experience here) I don’t see much difference between both of them, as a matter of fact I found the modern version a tiny bit slicker VS the vintage but that’s it. Both Williams for me are reserved for straight shaving due there slickness and quality of the shave. I do understand that lots of wet shavers have problems whit Williams(modern) but it’s not my case at all, lots will complain that the lather will dissipated but not for me. I can use it for bowl lathering, face lathering or like a shave stick it doesn’t matter I always get amazing results whit it. The vintage formula well just lather by itself and it’s easier to use for sure but for my point of view the quality of both are great, but it’s my point of view. Gino

I’ve never used either version.did they acknowledge a reformulation? Are the ingredients the same on the boxes?

I’ve never used either version.did they acknowledge a reformulation? Are the ingredients the same on the boxes?
Yep it was reformulated for sure and to my opinion maybe many times, the texture of the puck is not the same. The vintage seems a bit softer VS modern very dry.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Here’s the ingredients

87702D8A-D863-42C8-B2B5-4945274EC48D.jpeg

I am sure I shaved with vintage mug soap when I was a young man. However, that was many years ago and I have no recollection of its performance.

I have tried modern Williams but am not fond of it. I can get a decent lather if I am willing to work at it for several minutes. With nearly all of my soaps I can load the brush for 15-30 seconds and then generate a great bowl lather in another 60 seconds, paint it on my face and get on with my shavein about two minutes. With Williams it would take me 2-3 times that long. I saw a video of one guy that spent about 12 minutes building a lather with Williams. My arthritic hands would not tolerate that amount of abuse.

Once lathered, Williams provides a decent shave. It is not as good as most of the soaps in my den, but at $12 per dozen pucks, it is a good value for those on a budget.

Top Bottom