What's new

VINTAGE VINOLIA stick

My first shave wioth the legendary Vinolia shave stick. Vinolia soap was the official guest soap aboard the Titanic... Tom, who gifted me this treasure, thinks the stick is from the 50's , sounds about right. First class hard plastic container, meant to store "upside down " ... Foil wrapped at base, and the soap base has been grooved, to match the threads in the tube's base, real class. Fantastic scent , a light rose mixed with fine powder ,with a
IMG_0019.JPG
touch of dry spice perhaps. Initial hits with the brush did no good, so I ran hot water over the stick for 30 seconds, which produced a rich thick palm lather....Very close, enjoyable shave.
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

(I hope @malocchio doesn't mind me posting my review in his thread)

First of all, THANK YOU, @Jonxster, for this amazing vintage Vinolia Shave Stick!!

My experience is very similar to @malocchio 's, except I rubbed the stick on my face just like I would any shave stick. I wet my face, rubbed the dry stick on my beard area (I only wet my face, not the stick), and it felt rough, grainy, but not abrasive nor painful, and the lather was runny and not good for shaving...BUT...after wetting my face again, the rubbing was much smoother and the lather was much thicker, as good as any shave stick lather, somewhere between Tabac and Palmolive shave sticks' lather. The lather was slick and allowed for some buffing without relathering. It was a very nice shave.

The scent was AMAZING!! It's a gentlemen's rose scent that lasts a little while after the final rinse.

Vinolia_Vintage_Shave_Stick.jpg

PS. I didn't know the Vinolia Shave Stick was designed to hang upside down until @malocchio mentioned it in his review. After re-examining the container and stick, I thought...hmmm, would you look at that. I've learned something awesome!! Thank you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think that "rose" scents for "gents" are HIGHLY underappreciated. Sounds like an awesome soap!

So this is no longer being made?

I think that "rose" scents for "gents" are HIGHLY underappreciated. Sounds like an awesome soap!

So this is no longer being made?
Unfortunately, no. These shave sticks are NOS from the 1950's!!

Gents Scents Shaving Soaps would make a great name for a soap maker!!

was an expiration date printed on the side?
I did not see one on the foil (although I'll look again to see if I can see one). On the outside, only the word "VINOLIA" appears.

What's amazing about this shave stick is that, although being around 60+/- years old, it's performing like a shave stick that was recently purchased!! Once the first micro-layer was removed, the soap performance is amazing and the scent strength hasn't diminished!! This is a top-shelf, well-made and preserved shave stick!!

Confirmed that there was no expiration date on the foil or tube. I would have tried it anyway even if there was one.

Shave#2 - much smoother application, same great lather!! I've been using the Vinolia in conjuction with the ELIOS Blades Participation PIF. My first couple of shaves with the ELIOS blade was in a Gillette Slim, so I thought I would go completely vintage and use Vinolia. I am loving the scent and performance. Got 2 great shaves so far.

It is a hard shave stick and doesn't require all that much applied before yielding plenty of lather. I wet my face and apply the Vinolia to just my beard area (I go over the area twice but I only press with modest pressure). I can image this stick would last for well over 70 shaves.

Confirmed that there was no expiration date on the foil or tube. I would have tried it anyway even if there was one.

Shave#2 - much smoother application, same great lather!! I've been using the Vinolia in conjuction with the ELIOS Blades Participation PIF. My first couple of shaves with the ELIOS blade was in a Gillette Slim, so I thought I would go completely vintage and use Vinolia. I am loving the scent and performance. Got 2 great shaves so far.

It is a hard shave stick and doesn't require all that much applied before yielding plenty of lather. I wet my face and apply the Vinolia to just my beard area (I go over the area twice but I only press with modest pressure). I can image this stick would last for well over 70 shaves.

Thats the amazing thing about this soap, it improves after each shave. Probably the soap is ”waking up”

Thats the amazing thing about this soap, it improves after each shave. Probably the soap is ”waking up”
I think "waking up" is a good term for this. I used the Vinolia again this morning and it applied much smoother and performed nicely. Still loving the scent of this soap.

I think "waking up" is a good term for this. I used the Vinolia again this morning and it applied much smoother and performed nicely. Still loving the scent of this soap.

Yep, did my first de headshave with it today and it did not let me down.

Top Bottom