What's new

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

• Vintage DE Razor

• Modern DE Razor

• Too Close To Call

Results are only viewable after voting.
hey peeps, so i see many peeps have a lot of razors and some peeps like to rotate between them but theyre go to razor is either a vintage one or a more modern one

so my question is, vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why? also please tell us which make and model de razor it is specifically please

i do find it amazing as well as interesting that some razors which are so many years old are still built to last after all these years and with the advancement
of engineering, sciences and technology they still outperform the latest of modern razors

please vote on the poll, thanks saj :)

I prefer the weight of the modern razors like the Rockwell 6S. The vintage razors feel too light in my hand. Bear in mind I learned to shave on a vintage razor when it was a new razor.

I guess I’m vintage now too, or at least some folks seem to think I am. I guess I’m stuck in my ways and no longer capable of learning.

Last edited:
Like @TexOkie Shaver I started out shaving with what are now called vintage razors, but I now prefer the modern ones. The only vintage razor I still use is a Gem MMOC, but it's the only Gem razor I own. It's not my favorite blade type otherwise I would probably be trying out some of the modern Gem type razors. My current favorite DE's are Muhle Rocca, Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 and Yaqi double open comb slant.

I have had both, but these days I have gone to the ‘modern’ camp. This is mainly because I prefer the heft and workmanship of the the new ‘artisan’ options!

However, I continue to admire the patina of the old ‘classics!!’ :a29:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The only modern razors I've owned are the Merkur 34 and the Fatip Grande and Gentile models. A limited sample, but all 3 are fine shavers. I have several different vintage Gillettes, but I gravitate toward the Super Speeds for daily use. The twist to open feature makes them easy to load at 4 AM, and the shaves are always terrific. I used a black handled model from the 70s nearly every day for 6+ years, but for the last month I've been riding the red tip. The extra weight feels real good in my hand and on the face.

I tend to prefer modern razors. I have several vintage razors and they are great shavers, but I like the styles and weight of modern razors a bit more.

There are some people who gravitate towards vintage/classics anyway.

This house where I sit was built in 1840, and the office chair I'm sitting in was built in the 1920's.

The two motorcycles are 1981, and 1987.

Stereo receiver from 1968, toaster and blender both from the early 1950's. Teakettle is a 1965.

I prefer the weight of the modern razors like the Rockwell 6S. The vintage razors feel too light in my hand. Bear in mind I learned to shave on a vintage razor when it was a new razor.

I guess I’m vintage now too, or at least some folks seem to think I am. I guess I’m stuck in my ways and no longer capable of learning.
thats interesting to hear, what blads did you first use when you initially started shaving do you know?

Like @TexOkie Shaver I started out shaving with what are now called vintage razors, but I now prefer the modern ones. The only vintage razor I still use is a Gem MMOC, but it's the only Gem razor I own. It's not my favorite blade type otherwise I would probably be trying out some of the modern Gem type razors. My current favorite DE's are Muhle Rocca, Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 and Yaqi double open comb slant.

how often do you use the vintage gem razor compared to your modern ones?

i really like the look of the yaqi range, i admit i do like chinese products though

I prefer modern razors. I started with vintage. I have a Gillette Slim, Super Speed, and Tech. I find myself reaching for my Timeless, Wolfman, and Stainless Karve. My modern razors are very smooth yet efficient.
never used it but heard good things about the karve

I like the simplicity, quality and economy of the vintage razors. Performance wise, for what I require I stopped looking after discovering Gillette Super Speed. I have a very modest collection of vintage Gillette’s and find they hit all the right notes for my preferences.
how many you got mate? any pics?

I have had both, but these days I have gone to the ‘modern’ camp. This is mainly because I prefer the heft and workmanship of the the new ‘artisan’ options!

However, I continue to admire the patina of the old ‘classics!!’ :a29:
when you say heft, do you mean as in the heavier weight?

Top Bottom