What's new

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

• Vintage DE Razor

• Modern DE Razor

• Too Close To Call

Results are only viewable after voting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, I'm cheap. And old enough that "bling" don't do it enough for me anymore. Would I LIKE to own a Wolfman? Heck yeah. Could I justify the expense to the War Department to be able to own one? Heck no!

So I don't have much experience in using modern razors. And I love holding a razor in my hand that is a "hunnert years old" and thinking about the ones that held and used it before me.

So until my rich childless Unkle dies I'm using old stuff.

I like modern purely for aesthetics, but I could put a vintage head say a tech on a modern looking handle and I would be fine. Overall, I probably enjoy moderns more, but not because they shave better always ime.

I like both and I wouldn't say that modern razors are better than vintage, because the term ''better'' is different for everyone. The thing I like about modern razors is that they are relatively more efficient, aggressive and heavier compared to most vintage razors, which is why I use my FOCS more often than my 109 Super Adjustable.

Both are great shavers, but if I haven't shaved in a while and I want a quick and effortless shave, the FOCS will perform a bit better than the SA, although on the 9th setting the SA is also very comfortable and also very efficient.
There are all kinds of shavers and pretty much everyone has a different answer to this questions and in the end it all comes down to what you like.

Reactions: saj
Well, I'm cheap. And old enough that "bling" don't do it enough for me anymore. Would I LIKE to own a Wolfman? Heck yeah. Could I justify the expense to the War Department to be able to own one? Heck no!

So I don't have much experience in using modern razors. And I love holding a razor in my hand that is a "hunnert years old" and thinking about the ones that held and used it before me.

So until my rich childless Unkle dies I'm using old stuff.
My one splurge for shaving was my Rockwell 6S. I was not going to spend $250 on a razor that I might not like. I found a discount on the 6S and bought it for two reasons. 316 stainless and the 6 plates. I almost always use plate 4, and have yet to use plates 1 or 6, so it fits my aggressiveness requirements with room to change.

Everything else I’ve purchased has been on the Ebenezer Scrooge budget. I don’t have a rich unkle so I have to make do on my meager earnings.

Over the years after being sucked into this hobby, I have around 60 DE & SE razors. I’d say 90% are vintage.

I appreciate history and the evolution of the safety razor. My collection ranges from 1901 - today. I think I have the full range is super speeds from the 40’s through the 60’s.

However, recently I’ve been using my Rockwell 6S, RR Gamechanger, EJ DE 89. Then, when I go vintage, it’s a #58, Rocket, or Red Tip. I’m slowly selling off my vintage.

So.....I’m on the fence, leaning heavily to modern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am i right in thinking that gillette seem to be the most popular of old school vintage razors?

am i right in thinking that gillette seem to be the most popular of old school vintage razors?

If "popularity" is synonymous with sheer numbers, then yes. Most people who own vintage DE will own Gillettes, simply because there were so many of them made and they are so easy to find and afford.

That said, it would be hard to make the case that, in general, vintage Gillette products are more popular because they do a better job than vintage Stars, or Clixes, or Kronas, or Gems, or some of the better vintage stuff made in the Soviet Union. It's just harder to find and more expensive to own a vintage Clix EZ Flow, or a Russian Rocket copy. And many an individual will reach for their Krona or their GEM while their vintage Gillettes go unused.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Or, vintage Gillettes are really damn good. Not to take anything away from GEMs, Schicks, vintage Merkurs, etc. I know those razors have their fans. But it’s misnomer to suggest that Gillette’s are only popular because they’re cheap and easy to get. First of all, that discounts the excellence of British and Canadian Gillettes - very popular razors known to be somewhat more aggressive than their American counterparts. Secondly, Gillettes are popular because there are so many different models, there’s something for everyone. Open comb, safety bar, TTO, adjustable, mild, aggressive, mildly aggressive - it’s all there. You can probably find a model that works well for you. Third, they truly are masterpieces of design, both esthetically and functionally. An SE might shave well - and I have no doubt they do - but boy are they fugly compared to a Superspeed or ball-end Tech. Maybe some people don’t care, but a lot do. And finally, they just shave really well. Frankly, the shaves I get from my vintage Gillettes are so good, I feel no need to look elsewhere. Not to expensive modern SS wonders. Not to other vintage brands. Maybe I’m alone in that opinion, but I doubt it.

No doubt. All sorts of excellent Gillette razors. I'm a huge fan and own several. But still, part of what makes them popular to collect is indeed the sheer numbers of them made, which makes them both available and reasonably affordable.

Whenever someone is starting out here, pretty much what do they hear? "Get a Tech, get a Superspeed." Excellent advice. They don't hear "Get a Clix Ez-Flo," or "Get a Russian Rocket," even though (IMO) those two are both every bit as nice as Techs or Superspeeds. But they are harder to come by.

Most of my razors are vintage, though I have 2 moderns, a Merkur Progress and a Fatip. I love shaving with both of them. But the vintage razors shave just as well and just as closely (given a good blade, soap/cream, prep, and technique). And they, mine at least, cost much less!

Not to mention there is the history aspect, like owning a vintage car or classic fedora. These razors served at least one person, maybe more, in the last 50 to 75 years. You imagine the first owner running into a Walgreen's in midtown Manhattan or downtown Portland to pick up a NEW Short Comb or a Red Tip plus blades and cream before a trip; or a father taking his teenage son to the shop to pick out a first razor. That razor would serve him for many years. Not even something he had to think about, just pop a blade in, use it, clean it, and hang it up or set it in the medicine cabinet until tomorrow's shave.

And now they've found a home with another appreciative owner: me!

If "popularity" is synonymous with sheer numbers, then yes. Most people who own vintage DE will own Gillettes, simply because there were so many of them made and they are so easy to find and afford.

That said, it would be hard to make the case that, in general, vintage Gillette products are more popular because they do a better job than vintage Stars, or Clixes, or Kronas, or Gems, or some of the better vintage stuff made in the Soviet Union. It's just harder to find and more expensive to own a vintage Clix EZ Flow, or a Russian Rocket copy. And many an individual will reach for their Krona or their GEM while their vintage Gillettes go unused.
yea there seems to be more gillette vintage razors available out there from what ive seen as a noob

This is hard for me to answer, since I am exclusively an open blade shaver.

Here's the curious part, I guess. I use replaceable blade straight razors. I currently have three of them. They are all modern implements, obviously, because there weren't any replaceable blade straight razors back in the day. But their design is based on regular straight razors, which is obviously more vintage than any of the Gillette DEs.

So I guess I'd say I love the absolute oldest vintage way of shaving but with the most modern implements.

Vintage razors for me.
I get better results, smooth close shaves. Mostly with Old, New types, 40's Superspeed and Aristocrats.
I also use SE razors.

The modern razors do not work as well for me. The thicker heads I find chunky, maneuverable for trimming around van dykes.

I voted for Vintage. I own 4 vintage Gillettes (a Fatboy, a Slim Adjustable, a 40's and a 50's Super Speed) and an
Edwin Jagger DE89. In MY opinion, the Gillettes all give me a better shave than the EJ. Plus, I like the TTO feature
of the Gillettes compared to the time it takes to assemble, shave, dis-assemble-to-clean, re-assemble process of the
EJ....

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I voted modern. My Feather does everything I want well, has a nice heft, and being SS will last longer than I shall. I also like having current, active companies carrying on this tradition.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Modern CNC machined SS razors allow flat heads and bending and guiding the blades more preceisly.

I must second Tirvine, I like having current, active companies that carry on the tradition and innovate or improve. Why refurbish and polish old brass razors when we can make the same, if not even better in stainless steel, bronze or whatever we want by now.

I like the weight, heft and feel of stainless steel. Also, though still highly disregarded and rarely made, CNC allows for very fancy handles.

What I would like to add: Modern synthetic fibers for brushes. They are easier to clain and dry faster, and they are available in different styles by now. There should not be an excuse to have badger farms around anymore.

I don't have much experience with modern razors. But I really like the Feather Popular. I keep reaching for it. But I'd say I'd rather have a vintage Gillette or a Schick Krona.

Top Bottom