What's new

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

vintage v modern de razors - which do you prefer and why?

• Vintage DE Razor

• Modern DE Razor

• Too Close To Call

Results are only viewable after voting.
The only modern razors I've owned are the Merkur 34 and the Fatip Grande and Gentile models. A limited sample, but all 3 are fine shavers. I have several different vintage Gillettes, but I gravitate toward the Super Speeds for daily use. The twist to open feature makes them easy to load at 4 AM, and the shaves are always terrific. I used a black handled model from the 70s nearly every day for 6+ years, but for the last month I've been riding the red tip. The extra weight feels real good in my hand and on the face.
cool, yea im on the hunt for some vintage gillette razors :)

There are some people who gravitate towards vintage/classics anyway.

This house where I sit was built in 1840, and the office chair I'm sitting in was built in the 1920's.

The two motorcycles are 1981, and 1987.

Stereo receiver from 1968, toaster and blender both from the early 1950's. Teakettle is a 1965.

cool so you like a lot of vintage things not just razors 👍

I used what I believe was a Gillette Super Speed, probably made in 67. I always used Gillette Blue Blades.

how long have you had it? how much you pay for it you remember?

i mean after from online ebay wheres best to get de razors? dont exactly have a lot of antique shops around here tbh, well not that i actually know of

how long have you had it? how much you pay for it you remember?

i mean after from online ebay wheres best to get de razors? dont exactly have a lot of antique shops around here tbh, well not that i actually know of
I no longer have it. SWMBO threw it out after I switched to cartridge razors. I don’t recall what I paid for it, but it was probably about $3.

Reactions: saj

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've nothing against modern, I've got several and enjoy shaving with them; but I would describe myself as a "vintage guy". In our modern age of "time for a new [insert whatever you can think of here], despite the 'old' one still working", there is something intrinsically rewarding to me about continuing to use something that was designed and produced many, many years ago. And each "vintage" helps bring back history and let's me reflect on what was going on then. My earliest lather catcher (a Kampfe Bros with an 1884 pat'd) was arguably one of the earliest "safety" razors produced. My Gillette "Double Ring" (circa 1905), my Gem Zinn (my current avatar, circa 1906), all of my Gems (I believe I have every model -- but not quite every version of every model), my Ever-Ready's, my Schicks/Eversharp (starting with the first 1926-1927 model, and including 13 of the 15 various models), my various slants from Germany & the US, the various different SE & DE models over the years (e.g., Enders, Durham Duplex, the National, the Stahly), various UK and European, Latin America (Gillette RFB's Rotbarts, Legion Extranjera), and of course the Weck Sextoblades, hair shapers, and other "disposable blade" straight razor types.

I've surely missed a few (as I think of it, probably more than a few), but clearly I'm a collector. I didn't start out that way, I started out wanting to "rescue" the vintage razors (or so I told myself), then I started yearning to explore the "different" shaves of each razor....perhaps finding that "golden ticket" of shaves. But in the end, I came to realize that any one of them would be a perfectly fine shaving tool, and I just like experiencing each razor's "personality". I often put on some music from the period that the razor is estimated to come from when shaving (e.g., Ragtime when I use my Zinn; Glenn Miller for the late 30's early 40's; etc.) Sometimes I will choose to shave with a razor because it's "patent-birthday" has come up; but lately I've been shaving with the razor whose time period matches one of the people I've helped -- I'm a volunteer first responder who goes on medical calls in my county....my last patient was born in 1978, so I used a Gillette Super Speed (black handle with a date code of "Y") with Alicia Bridges singing "I Love the Nightlife" playing in the background.

So I'm more of a vintage user-collector, but I thoroughly respect the shavers who have found THE razor for them, be it modern or vintage. And you can most certainly enjoy the diversity of various razors -- vintage or modern -- without my obvious eccentricities. :001_smile

Comparing let's say a modern Merkur Futur adjustable razor vs. a vintage Gillette Super Adjustable SH is a "too close to call" situation. And that's how I voted.

Some vintage razors are great, and some are not so great; some modern razors are great, and some are not so great.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
how many you got mate? any pics?
I have 5 altogether. Two Super Speeds; both regular flare tip one has black handle. Three Techs; Post War ball end, Travel and Gold. My fave is the plain old 64 Super Speed. I’ve posted pics of all the razors, but nothing recently. I been using SR’s for a few months now, haven’t picked up a DE in a while. Perhaps I’ll get a DE shave in soon to remind myself of just how good they are.

how often do you use the vintage gem razor compared to your modern ones?

i really like the look of the yaqi range, i admit i do like chinese products though
The Gem only gets used a few times each month, but that's mostly because it is a very unforgiving razor. If I pay attention I get as close a shave as I can get with any razor, but the only time I've cut myself badly enough to require a styptic pencil in the past few years has been at the hands of the Gem MMOC. Also, I prefer smaller heads, so DE's with slimmer heads or AC style single edge razors appeal to me more than the Gem style razors. My next razor (after I receive my Fatip open comb slant) will probably be either the Blackland Dart (DE) or Blackland Vector (AC style); both have quite minimalist heads.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
funny thing mate is i am a noob so i havent tried any vitage razors yet,
so i for and didnt put a poll option for 'noob not tried vintage and modern de razors' lol
Nice thing is that, as long as you are not chasing mint condition razor sets, many vintage razors are still available for reasonable prices - although that window appears to be closing a bit.

Lots of good stuff to choose from. :)

Only from direct personal experience, the best shaving razors I have and have used are all modern. I have and have used 3 Gillette Slims, a Fatboy, an Aristocrat, 5 Superspeeds from 1946 to mid sixties, half a dozen Techs and while many have given me good shaves, none have given shaves as good as I get from my Timeless SS, Bronze and Titanium my Rockwell 6S and 6C, my Edwin Jagger ‘89s, my Mercury Progress, my Karve B plate. My GC and ATT Windsor while new are also giving very good shaves. I am no engineer but I guess modern manufacturing can hold closer tolerances, and I wonder if the older DE blades were thicker and vintage razors were made to hold thicker blades, not today’s thinnner ones? Strictly my personal experience, sure many have very different experiences, all any of us can say is YMMV.

Vintage. I Gillette Milord’s are all I really use anymore. For me modern razors are too big, heavy and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom