What's new

Vintage/Traditional Shaving Scuttle

Looking for a new scuttle (my last one didn't last long and was accidentally shuttered to pieces within the first few months:mad3:)

I really like the way how traditional scuttles look compared to modern teapot-ones and want to buy another one this time.

scuttle.jpg

The main task is to soak a brush and keep the lather warm. Therefore, looking for an advice from someone who used them. Please, advise whether:

A) it is convenient to build up a lather on the top. I thought about holding the soap puck in my hand, load the brush and then build the lather on the toap of the scuttle. I do load the soap holding it in my hand all the time, so the first part won't be an issue.
B) it really keeps your lather warm. I'm slightly dubious given that the water doesn't contact with the ceramics on the top.
C) if I do keep my soap puck at the top of the scuttle and build lather on top of it would my lather be warm? It looks like it will be sitting on the top of the soap puck and be as cold as doing it without a scuttle at all.

I don't really have GAS (probably poor me) and always looking for practical side (no sitting on the shelf). So I don't want to buy something just to try and find out that it's useless :001_unsur

Any thoughts? Would appreciate your help.

@JasonJT, saw your similar post about you experience with your scuttle last October. Hopefully, you can help if you have been using it since and experimented with different options. What worked best for you?

Hm, looks like nobody is here
Had to risk and order one at bargain price on eBay.
If someone is interested, will try different ways to use it and post it in a few weeks time as I'm away all next week

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

I bought one. It's a little too much work for an everyday event for me.

I use mine a little differently. Brush and hot water in the bottom. Use the puck as a shave stick on my face. Lather face and let the brush sit in the top section to stay warm (it does). When I finish, I put the puck back in the top section to dry out.

Making lather off the puck when it sits in the top section is way too messy for my OCD. Lather goes everywhere and all down the sides of the scuttle making a mess.

Yours looks great. Hope you can make it work. 👍

I like them myself but i dont use it often. I soak my brush in mine. Then when im ready to make lather i load from the tin or jar, refill the scuttle with hot water again and rest my brush in the top while shaving. The heat/steam keeps the brush warm. I dont lather in the top of it. Too much mess and waist for me. Mine gets a quick rince and put away afterwards.

I like them myself but i dont use it often. I soak my brush in mine. Then when im ready to make lather i load from the tin or jar, refill the scuttle with hot water again and rest my brush in the top while shaving. The heat/steam keeps the brush warm. I dont lather in the top of it. Too much mess and waist for me. Mine gets a quick rince and put away afterwards.
Jerry, you basically just copied my answer from above. 😃 Great minds think alike, huh?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
This has been discussed previously in B&B and the consensus is that this type of Scuttle is not designed to be used to make lather on top (although some may do). It has a shallow top and a small capacity, lather tends to overflow and get everywhere.

This kind of Scuttle appeared in the past because of the lack of common hot water lines and stable electricity at that time, people had to move to brighter places such as windows to shave with water.
They'll use the brush to pick/soak the water below and put the soap on top for loading, or put the soap back on top after scrubbing...that's it.

As posted above, this type of scuttle works better for face lathering. The bowl on top is not really made to be a lathering bowl. It can hold a small piece of soap or you can just use shaving cream on the brush.

Top Bottom