What's new

Vintage straights, narrower preferred?

Also, haven't found the width that influential on detailed work - I feel like the length of the blade has much more impact on that...

My Spanish point Dovo Barbarossa is an excellent detailer. I am not much of a spanish or square point fan otherwise.

You need to qualify "narrow". I have some blades that were designed as "narrow" by Tanifuji and Hayashi. Thet are fantastic for detail work. But some of the "narrow" blades you might find, may be narrow because they have been honed to death. Look at the spine wear and the grind from the front view.

Just as today narrower blades where cheaper than wider blades. Just as today, when it comes to buying a razor, price is a major consideration for most men. This is why most old straight razors that where sold and produced (and that are still around) where the cheap, narrow models.

Last edited:
I don't recall finding many/any 4/8 or 3/8 blades in flea markets or antique shops - I'd say most were 5/8 or 6/8.
I think the largest blades, being more expensive due to materials cost, etc - were possibly produced in lower numbers.
But 6/8, 7/8 & 8/8 blades were certainly common enough back in the 1800s. Many Sheffield makers certainly produced a lot of 7/8 or larger blades. STraight shaves were still very popular in barbershops into the 60s, but I don't know how many post 1920 barbers were using an 8/8 FBU.
Dunno how popular the largest blades were through the early 1900s. I think Henckels was still making #14 Friodors into the late 70s early 80s. Their popularity, at the time, is unknown to me though. I think straights were mostly a curiosity then.
I think 5/8 and 6/8 blades were most common in the barber catalogs from the early to mid 1900s.... guessing based on vague memory here.

Top Bottom