What's new

Vintage straights found next door. Any help ID'ing, tips, etc?

Ok, I have only been DE'ing for about 6 weeks. And while a straight is certainly in my future, I'm still focused more on learning proper lathering, etc before I'm ready.

At least that's what I thought, until my neighbor showed me a bunch of vintage straights and gear:

$IMG_0111.jpg$IMG_0112.jpg

Here are some notes on what I found, taking only 10 or so minutes.

Strops:
1. No name, large 4 sided (on left side of box). Brass handle. Good condition. Each side seems to be a different grade of leather.
2[*]. Boston Metallic Hone & Strop. Victorian Era typography. Contains one flat hone with round handle, distinct grits each side. Separate flat strop with round handle. Very few nicks.
3. Genuine Emerson's elastic razor

Razors, with cases:
1. Red Point Razor, Utica Knive Co., Solingson Germany "Designed especially for Professional Barber Use".
2. (1) J.R. Torrey Co Sheffield England. (1) George Wester(?, rusty writing) Sheffield England. Single case for both.
3. Joseph Rogers. Sheffield. Case: M. Oberhauser, 9 Water St Boston Ma. Was this a dealer, or did folks get custom engraved cases back then?
4[*]. Rudolf Schmidt, Solingen Germany. Blade also has "TradeMark MasterPiece on main portion of blade (what's this area called?) Case: C. Klauberg & Bros, 173 William St N.Y.
5. Wester Bros. Yankee Shaver #1.
6. Alpha Extra Hollow Ground Harrison.
7[*]. John Prince (Handmade). Case: Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Germany.
8. New England Razor, Boston. Case: Broadway Cutlery
9[**]. The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. Manufactured by Wade&Butcher Sheffield. Case: T. Noonan&Sons Boston Ma.

Razors, no case:
10. Broadway Cutlery Germany.
11. (3) Urum Uplex USA comb beard trimmer, with single edge disp blades. All 3 different sizes.
12. Blake&Co Germany. "Barbers Choice".
13. Wade&Butcher Sheffield England. "Special". Tortise shell is really pretty.
14[*]. Wade&Butcher. Train motif in blade, very fine engraving work. Seems to be hollow ground. Stunning.
15. Geo Wostenholm&Son Sheffield England. "Original Pipe Razor".
16. Frederick Reynold Sheffield.
17. F.G. Voss Solingen Germany.

[*] Are the ones which seemed easiest to restore: very little rust, no divots, etc. They are also the most interesting in terms of aesthetics, at least to me.

My friend offered me a strop and a straight of my choice. I, in turn offered to document, and to do my best to get them in the hands of folks who could appreciate them.

Any thoughts on this collection? I will be grabbing the Nikon and some good glass to document these properly, but for now I guess I need some help on deciding what are some good ones to start with.

I'm guessing I'd want to find someone to professionally restore, etc.

Geez, I came to B&B to learn some more about DE, and one week later all these straights fall on my lap!

Thanks for any guidance or info. This is going to be a great project learning more about the history of these finely made pieces.

For the most part, on the razors there is no "junk" brand razors list. So the best choice would be the razor in the best shape (but this is only my opinion)
When you take more pics, get a pic of the blades, that should help narrow your choices.
I got to ask.
Is the a HUGE stone at the front of the box, under the leather strop??

Yes, there are three stones in the kit as well. The huge one in the front seems like the most abrasive.

oooo....pretty...... I might help out relieving you of your troubles if you need it.... :) Eyeballs and associated restoring-potential drool is on 13-17....

you have some real potential winners in that lot, I'm especially curious about number 4 4[*]. Rudolf Schmidt, Solingen Germany. Blade also has "TradeMark MasterPiece on main portion of blade (what's this area called?) Case: C. Klauberg & Bros, 173 William St N.Y.

Please share more pictures when you can.

Razors, with cases:
1. Red Point Razor, Utica Knive Co., Solingson Germany "Designed especially for Professional Barber Use".
2. (1) J.R. Torrey Co Sheffield England. (1) George Wester(?, rusty writing) Sheffield England. Single case for both.
3. Joseph Rogers. Sheffield. Case: M. Oberhauser, 9 Water St Boston Ma. Was this a dealer, or did folks get custom engraved cases back then?
4[*]. Rudolf Schmidt, Solingen Germany. Blade also has "TradeMark MasterPiece on main portion of blade (what's this area called?) Case: C. Klauberg & Bros, 173 William St N.Y.
5. Wester Bros. Yankee Shaver #1.
6. Alpha Extra Hollow Ground Harrison.
7[*]. John Prince (Handmade). Case: Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Germany.
8. New England Razor, Boston. Case: Broadway Cutlery
9[**]. The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. Manufactured by Wade&Butcher Sheffield. Case: T. Noonan&Sons Boston Ma.

Razors, no case:
10. Broadway Cutlery Germany.
11. (3) Urum Uplex USA comb beard trimmer, with single edge disp blades. All 3 different sizes.
12. Blake&Co Germany. "Barbers Choice".
13. Wade&Butcher Sheffield England. "Special". Tortise shell is really pretty.
14[*]. Wade&Butcher. Train motif in blade, very fine engraving work. Seems to be hollow ground. Stunning.
15. Geo Wostenholm&Son Sheffield England. "Original Pipe Razor".
16. Frederick Reynold Sheffield.
17. F.G. Voss Solingen Germany.

My friend offered me a strop and a straight of my choice. I, in turn offered to document, and to do my best to get them in the hands of folks who could appreciate them.

Well I'd volunteer to be the sacrificial lamb, but it sounds like you've already got a leg up.

As for strops, just be careful. I got a few from my grandmother that were quite old and not oiled in several decades probably. Even after a few coats of neatsfoot oil the draw isn't what I would like off them. I guess look for the softest one and work from there; defects in the middle are difficult to work around, but on the ends are just fine.

As for razor, as pointed out before there are MANY great finds here. Not knowing the widths in 1/8ths of an inch, toe shape (round, french/oblique, spanish, barber's notch), stabilizer, and grind type etc. it's tough to help you out. My best advice would be to look for something that speaks to you, has no rust near the cutting edge, and is in serviceable shape. Once you clean it up with some mothers mag and aluminum polish it will look great and honing is only about $19 from larry at whipped dog.

My other piece of advice would be that tortoise shell is awesome.

Looks like your neighbour or a family member was a barber.
Hopefully it is all salvageable tho the strop looks sad.

Top Bottom