What's new

Vintage spoons to scoop up soap/cream

So I saw the newest video from geofatboy, who had a silver vintage English mustard spoon gifted to him by a fan, for the sole purpose of scooping out cream/soap out of containers and into shaving bowls (I. E. non-hard soap stuff). Really cool idea, and looking at what's for sale out there, I was surprised by the variety of exquisitely ornate spoons available. Anyone do this as part of their routine? Feel free to post pictures of what you have.

Nothing quite so exotic for me. I use the little pink plastic spoon that comes in Sweet’nLow (artificial sweetener). Last forever & if they break, no big deal to replace them. Nice small spoon that makes it easy to scoop

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are an absolute boatload of cheap, small silver and pewter spoons at every antique store I’ve ever visited.

I use the mini shovel for harder soaps.

proxy.php
That is really cool and vintage looking. Can you do this with harder soaps? I thought the harder soaps you just load brush in the container they come in?

That is really cool and vintage looking. Can you do this with harder soaps? I thought the harder soaps you just load brush in the container they come in?

If I want to just put soap in a bowl and swirl, I scoop. If it’s a really hard soap, it’s more like putting shavings in the bowl. That’s why I use the flat edge of the mini shovel.

It’s not often, though. I normally load from the puck/container.

Antique Salt Cellars often had a tiny silver salt spoon in them. I found a sterling spoon from the 30's online for cheap. It's small & will level scoop about a pea-sized bit of soap, but can hold more if not level.
It works great for ToBS and Cremogena.

Exactly. I don't get this whole spoon thing. :surrender:
You could do that and there's nothing wrong with doing so. You can also stick a finger in the jar and pull out what you need. The idea behind the specialty vintage spoons, as with much of the wet shaving routine, is to add an extra layer of pompf to the ritual. An air of refinement if you will. Same reason why we buy specialty razor and brush handles.

Top Bottom