What's new

Vintage soap question

I have a NOS soap from 1982. I plan on only using it on my birthday each year. First question is it possible to do that. Do I need to do anything to be able to keep it good. Is there anything I need to be aware of using a soap from 82. I posted a thread in the brush forum about it.

Certainly, you can use soaps from the eighties and even much earlier with no issue, but be mindful of their drawbacks.
The problems with old soaps are that they lose their scent, dry out, and over the long term their oils can go rancid.
A soap from 1982 is not that old, relatively speaking, and should perform well, although the scent will be a shadow of its former self. If you use the soap regularly, the scent will increase, as it is still present deeper within the soap, but the scent near the surface will have dissipated over the years. Similarly, the surface of the soap will have dried, possibly to a tough skin, but the soap will again become supple as the surface wears away. Assuming it's a shaving soap, you could bloom it in a pan of very shallow water for a bit and then use your brush on the wet side to build your lather.
The most effective long-term storage solution would be to vacuum seal it and keep in a refrigerator, but a simple zip-lock baggie would work nearly as well.
Freezing is controversial, as some argue that components could crystalise at such a temperature and break down when thawed. I tend to agree that freezing is overkill.
Rancidity is generally not a problem with a soap from the eighties, but possible if it has been subjected to long periods of considerable heat. If so, it will have sweated its oils to the surface and likely show mould.
What soap is it?
It's hard to imagine a soap from the early eighties that's so scarce as to warrant such thrift. Soaps from that era and earlier pop up frequently on ebay.

It's an Avon gentleman's regiment soap that came in the mug that was NOS. Here is a picture. I will take a picture of just the soap later and post it.

20190822_214711.jpg

Most vintage soaps would have been made from tallow and/or lard. These fats are high in saturated fatty acids that so not become rancid as quickly as poly-unsaturated fatty acids often found in modern artisan soaps.

After your birthday shave, leave the soap uncovered in a cool dry place for several days to make sure all water has evaporated. Then seal the soap in a "freezer" plastic bag and place the bag in your refrigerator until you next birthday. If you follow that procedure, hopefully both you and the vintage soap will share many birthdays to come.

Thank you two for the info. I will do this so that I can enjoy a nostalgic birthday shave for many years. All I need now is a razor from 3rd quarter 1982. This seems to be a challenge when I actually have money.

Sir Suhrim, nice brush and mug!
My 2c, use it and enjoy without any concern!
IIWM, I’d face lather from butt of puck, just to preserve nice mold design.
After use, simply wrap puck in plastic wrap.

Yes, a beautiful set!
And I agree with sarimento1 that you should lather from the underside of the puck to preserve the decorative impression.
I presume that you will only being using the brush on your birthday as well?
As to a nice birthday-quarter razor, you can't go wrong with a Gillette Super Speed, which remained in production until 1983.

I did think about lathering from the bottom of the puck. I wanted to preserve that design stamped into the puck. Correct the brush will be used only on my birthday. I am going to lather it and wash every so often so the bristles do not get dried out and damaged.

A superspeed or black beauty would be nice. I just wish the black beauty was all metal and not a blastic base.

I did think about lathering from the bottom of the puck. I wanted to preserve that design stamped into the puck. Correct the brush will be used only on my birthday. I am going to lather it and wash every so often so the bristles do not get dried out and damaged.

A superspeed or black beauty would be nice. I just wish the black beauty was all metal and not a blastic base.

The plastic piece doesn't affect the shave at all, I think you would be very pleased with a super adjustable

Thank you. I'm thinking once I can make a post again in the BST forum trying to see if I can trade someone my black beauty for my birth year black beauty.

Top Bottom