What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Here are the vintage soaps (and only soaps) I have so far. Got them all at an estate sale with a couple of straights a few years back. I took off the paper cap on the Seaforth (cat found the paper cap and chewed it to bits) and have been using it for a couple of weeks now, lathers Great!

I do have a question on the puck of Williams though... This puck seems very discolored and has some sort of Crust on it. Do you think it is Usable or should I sell it to a soap collector? I'm going to use all this soap and not collect it. I'll keep the boxes though.

:cursing: I tried for 20 mins to get that Colgate soap to display correctly, nothing worked, so that's how you guys get it :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If I'm not mistaken, that Williams is prime vintage. Great score. Someone with far more knowledge will chime in soon.

Crust is nothing to worry about. It happens to high sodium stearate soaps as they age. Not 100% sure what it is, but it doesn't cause any problems. That rawleighs is one I've never seen before. Nice find. Let us know how it does.

There was a puck of Ralph Lauren Safari soap on the bay the other day $15..... Kinda regretting not buying it. Never tried any vintage stuff yet

Safari isn't especially vintage. It was discontinued about five years ago if memory serves.

IMHO it performs about the same as AOS and MWF. A lot of people love the stuff (same as AOS and MWF), but I have other soaps I find better. Definitely useable, but not drool-worthy lather like these real old vintages.

Safari isn't especially vintage. It was discontinued about five years ago if memory serves.

IMHO it performs about the same as AOS and MWF. A lot of people love the stuff (same as AOS and MWF), but I have other soaps I find better. Definitely useable, but not drool-worthy lather like these real old vintages.
Thank you for the education. Makes me feel better about not buying it. Thinking my first vintage soap should probably be Old Spice. I have been wanting to get an Old Spice mug anyway so might as well get one with soap in it.

I picked up a puck of Williams awhile back at the grocery store and it was turning brown on one side. Makes me wonder how long it had sat there.

Thats' some great soaps you got there. I have several pucks of the Rawleigh's soap and it's great stuff, I've psoted pictures of mine on here. If you get a chance google the history of the Rawleigh's company, it's quite interesting.

That Williams came from the old Glastonbury plant so it was made before 1960, outstanding product. You might try grating it and then mixing all of the shavings together because the outside might be a little dry.

Here's one I got for about 15 bucks shipped. There's an inscription on the lid that dates it to '46. Couldn't find any info about it anywhere. PIF'ed a sample to another member who's a soap enthusiast for his opinion and he pronounced it "good", but did not do backflips. Haven't used it in a long while and this thread gets me itchy to do so.

View attachment 273807

And here's the inscription. Looks like a gift. Would like to know the story behind it.

View attachment 273810

And finally, i've posted this in other threads as well, is the soap included in a porcelain soap dish made for Rooney. I'm certain it's Yardley. Compared its scent with the scent of a puck of vintage Yardley that I also have. I believe these sets were made in the 70's. They are especially beautiful and deeply impractical.

View attachment 273811

That Williams came from the old Glastonbury plant so it was made before 1960, outstanding product. You might try grating it and then mixing all of the shavings together because the outside might be a little dry.

Looks like dry might be an understatement... Maybe I will try it as is first for the heck of it, then grate it up if needed.

Nice lot of vintage soaps, you will enjoy these wonderful soaps. This is a very interesting thread and I will try to put some pictures together of my vintage soaps later today. I am one that thinks that the RL Safari is a very good soap. It is a tallow based soap with a great scent and is an outstanding performer. I am glad that I have a stock of this fine soap.

Regards,

Doug

Thinking my first vintage soap should probably be Old Spice. I have been wanting to get an Old Spice mug anyway so might as well get one with soap in it.

I got a mug with vintage Old spice soap for $16 off an auction site. I was pleasantly surprised at the lather- it was just great. No particular smell that I could discern.

Cheers!

I got a mug with vintage Old spice soap for $16 off an auction site. I was pleasantly surprised at the lather- it was just great. No particular smell that I could discern.

Cheers!

Yea, I'm not sure if my Seaforth in a mug has the originakl scent. It smells ok, buy I would not buy it Just for the scent it has Now after 60+ years. The Lather, I would :)

Top Bottom