What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Picked up this unopened puck of Old Spice shaving soap yesterday:
upload_2017-11-12_13-36-59.png

I think it's one of the earlier, 5 oz pucks. Of course, that info has been worn away, on the bottom of the container. I'm debating on whether I should open it up, or not. I'm leaning towards not, at least not any time soon.

Picked up this unopened puck of Old Spice shaving soap yesterday:
I think it's one of the earlier, 5 oz pucks. Of course, that info has been worn away, on the bottom of the container. I'm debating on whether I should open it up, or not. I'm leaning towards not, at least not any time soon.

I'd say that it should be used by someone who will appreciate it. If that's you, go for it! If not, sell it to someone who will. If you leave it for your kids, they'll probably throw it out.

I'd say that it should be used by someone who will appreciate it. If that's you, go for it! If not, sell it to someone who will. If you leave it for your kids, they'll probably throw it out.
Yeah, I'll probably open it up, eventually. I'm just not in a huge hurry, yet.

Any scent left? I found one puck that still had some menthol scent left, but it only lasted 1 shave.
No, as best as I can tell, it smells the same as a couple of other pucks of vintage Williams I have - like old, tinny smelling soap. I might use it some day, just to find out if it still has the menthol cooling effect. I'd rather find some more - wouldn't want to use the only one I have.

Just found and read this thread. Love it!

I have a puck of 1970's Old Spice coming in the mail. I've just about finished my 4 pucks of vintage William's. I'd like to try a bunch of vintage soaps. This thread is very informative. Here's a photo of the incoming Old Spice.

recovery soap 3.75 ounces of shaving soap.jpg

^super find! congrats!

On my part, recently lucky to grab some more vintage Colgate shave soap sticks.

from left, Colgate-Palmolive-Peet, NJ, small stick in aluminum can, perhaps 1930's?
center, Colgate & Co., NY, larger "Handy Grip" nickel can, perhaps late 1920's?
right, Colgate & Co. small stick and nickel can; 1920's also?
all dates, very uncertain.

View attachment 833361
So great to see your awesome vintage shaving stick collection! I have the small Colgate can, like yours on the far right, and I always wondered what the stick and box looked like. The tin shows up from time to time, but the box, rare as hen's teeth I presume. So it appears the the stick was mounted into the screw cap and the foil peeled away with use. Do you know of any modern sticks that fit the Colgate tin? Such a combo would make a great travelling set!

Attachments

• DSC00496.JPG
    DSC00496.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
So great to see your awesome vintage shaving stick collection! I have the small Colgate can, like yours on the far right, and I always wondered what the stick and box looked like. The tin shows up from time to time, but the box, rare as hen's teeth I presume. So it appears the the stick was mounted into the screw cap and the foil peeled away with use. Do you know of any modern sticks that fit the Colgate tin? Such a combo would make a great travelling set!

thanks for your mention!
with a little trimming, an arko stick would fit into the larger 1.25" (approx) dia 'handy grip' colgate tin.
the smaller and more common tin is about 1" dia and I'm not aware of any modern sticks that small.
Obviously, you could carve down most any soap stick if you really wanted.
by the way, the caps on my smaller tins do not seem to be 'grips'.
in terms of current sticks, hard to beat speick, harris, valobra, even arko, for nice travel shaves!

thanks for your mention!
with a little trimming, an arko stick would fit into the larger 1.25" (approx) dia 'handy grip' colgate tin.
the smaller and more common tin is about 1" dia and I'm not aware of any modern sticks that small.
Obviously, you could carve down most any soap stick if you really wanted.
by the way, the caps on my smaller tins do not seem to be 'grips'.
in terms of current sticks, hard to beat speick, harris, valobra, even arko, for nice travel shaves!
Understood.
I don't have any of those sticks you mentioned, but note how a Mühle stick barely fits.
Of course, the Mühle stick has its own container, so...no point.
DSC00494.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
From today’s flea market adventures. A new Old Spice shaving soap, mug and plastic lid. As a kicker, the same seller a full lighthouse in its original box. YEAH!!!

634414E7-BBD7-4B3E-8797-3F55BB0F5DC3.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I must have 40 pucks of old Williams in my big shaving box in the cellar; some pucks date back to the 1930s. I've got a dozen pucks from 1980 or thereabouts still sealed in the factory packaging that I picked up 6 or 7 years ago. I haven't opened it because I have so many single pucks. I wonder if the factory packaging has preserved any of the soap's scent?

Here's a few of my oldest pucks...

williams.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom