What's new

Vintage Simpson Re-knot/refurbishment

Hello gents! It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but I wanted to share this story with you all.

I have been looking for a vintage Chubby series for a while and found one on Etsy. I think it was also posted here, from a search, but I don’t recall the member (if you sold me this, thank you!). It is equivalent to a Chubby 1, and was in great shape.

I was about to leave for Northern Ireland, and figured it was cheaper to mail it from there so I brought it along. We stopped at a tiny post office/convince store/breakfast place in Tassagh in Northern Ireland, and shelled out a total of £3 to send it off to the Isle of Man with a note to stuff it silly with Manchurian hair, and to mail it back to me in the States.

Towards the end of the trip, when in the Republic, I checked Simpson’s Twitter and found a picture of my brush! I also got an email letting me know she was ready to come back. Mind you, once they got it, it was about a two day turnaround. Wow. Mark gave me more than a bit of latitude to pay, being that I was still on vacation.

After waiting for it to ship back, it came in today! I thought I better put it into service right away, as it was super beautiful and looked liked it needed to be shaved with. A good soak, and the knot opened up a bit. The backbone was perfect, and the tips were like gel on the face. I used St James of London in Cedarwood and was super impressed. The flow through was great, not a lather hog at all. There was not one hair lost through the shave, not one. There was also no badger stank, just a beautiful shave.

I feel like Simpson gets more flack than they should here...so I wanted to post my wonderful experience. It was first class all the way, and this brush will be in my rotation of other for daily use.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

C5ECE362-1E41-4541-BFAC-FFFF07F6C660.jpeg
709CFECB-0904-4BA3-A981-2874DD42B595.jpeg
754925D2-A81F-49B9-862A-1F4C47C707E5.jpeg
18713516-493A-4ADA-94F5-27096B0D7E80.jpeg
E6F25EB3-0CB5-48F0-9CC3-F90BBDA839AE.jpeg
0DDCEF6E-721A-4FB0-8DC6-540AB6E34B0B.jpeg
6C3FD011-58ED-4089-80ED-6126A98F3DEF.jpeg
444AAC3E-772A-4FD3-9E05-071D4EECAFCF.jpeg
DB827E2A-115B-481A-BE3C-D623E18CF2A9.jpeg

@apollo11

That is extremely kind of you to take the time to share your experience with us.

We are delighted to hear the end result was to your liking & hope you get many years great service out of a truly lovely shaving brush.

Best,

Mark & all the Simpson team.

Lovely brush! That CH2 handle knot opening looks nearer to the size of contemporary Duke 3 / Chubby 1. Shows you the extent of brush knot inflation trough the years, from utilitarian tool to a collectable indulgence.

You can purchase a Simpson sticker in their shop or Gifts&Care.

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's awesome! CS like that is few and far between these days. I have really loved my Wee Scot(all of them) and think they are certainly and very fair premium brush.

Thanks to you all who took the time to read the story and reply! I am truly looking forward to keeping this brush in service for many more years.

Hopefully I can find another treasure to send to the Isle of Man next year, when visiting Ireland.

Top Bottom