What's new

Vintage Schick Razor

Hello, first of all, I need to apologize for not making good on my promise to debut my new Clog-Pruf razor in the Micromatic Monday shave-a-thon like I said I would. A new-to-me razor came in the mail and I just couldn't resist taking it for a spin after disinfecting it. The new razor is an old Schick injector with the bakelight handle. it's fairly beat up and I paid a whopping $3.50 for it, not counting shipping. I don't know which model it is because I haven't consulted the Schick ID guide yet, but I will later. I just used it with a new Schick injector blade and it gave me a very good shave, equal to any other razor I own, maybe even a little better than what I've been getting. I had never tried a Schick razor before, but several weeks ago another user here suggested I try Schick injector blades in an old Kriss Kross razor I have which used proprietary blades. I was very surprised at the quality of the shave I received from this old Kriss Kross razor, as well as the number of shaves on that first blade (7). I decided to buy a vintage Schick razor. I like the razor. The bakelight handle has a nice feel to it and the head seems well balanced. I think I'm going to have fun with this razor.

Cliff
IMG_20200831_142008.jpg

Brother salish, I don't think I see a seam on the handle, so it may be a Type E, made 1935-1941. If so, it's in fact Bakelite, not plastic. The Type G's, made 1946-1955 had a plastic handle (similar appearance) with a barely visible seam on the length of the back of the handle.

You probably will get the best shaves if you keep the plane of the head flat against the face (shallow angle, handle raised). I love Injectors. This morning I shaved with a Type I, made 1955-1958. The handle has a different shape than the Type E's and the Type G's. No matter. I've never met an Injector that I didn't like.

Brother salish, I don't think I see a seam on the handle, so it may be a Type E, made 1935-1941. If so, it's in fact Bakelite, not plastic. The Type G's, made 1946-1955 had a plastic handle (similar appearance) with a barely visible seam on the length of the back of the handle.

You probably will get the best shaves if you keep the plane of the head flat against the face (shallow angle, handle raised). I love Injectors. This morning I shaved with a Type I, made 1955-1958. The handle has a different shape than the Type E's and the Type G's. No matter. I've never met an Injector that I didn't like.
Thank you. Sorry for the lousy detail in the photo. I checked and there is no seam visible on the handle, so maybe it is the type E as you mentioned. Thanks for the shaving tip!

Cliff

Type E, particularly the E-2 (1935-37) is, IMHO, the best razor I have ever encountered. Put a Chinese Schick in there and shave away. An angle just slightly steeper than flush will get the best results.

Type E, particularly the E-2 (1935-37) is, IMHO, the best razor I have ever encountered. Put a Chinese Schick in there and shave away. An angle just slightly steeper than flush will get the best results.
Thank you. Just curious, how do you tell an E from an E-2?

Top Bottom