What's new

Vintage Safety Razors reworked

A series of posts and pics relating to rework (refurbishment, replating, recoating, etc) of vintage safety razors.

I recently acquired several vintage Gillette safety razors from the bay:

Gillette 195 Fatboy TTO Adjustable - date code F1 (1960 Qtr1)
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip TTO - date code F1 (1960 Qtr1)
Gillette Super Speed Common Bar TTO - no date code (1948-50)
Gillette Tech Fat Handle - no date code (1938-41)

In case it's not obvious, 1960 Qtr1 spans my birth month. Yes, I really am that old boys!!!

I cleaned and sanitised the razors and gave each a spin in my regular shaving rotation, being my first experience of vintage safety razors. All turned out to be in good working order and gave quite acceptable results. The shaves were a little different from what I've experienced with modern razors, ie were generally quite mild but reasonable efficient. I like how easy they all were to use without major changes to technique and I really like the results they produce. All of these razors are likely to see regular use.

The cosmetic appearance of each razor was not the best, with various staining, wear, plating discolouration, etc. Not a surprise given the relatively low price of them. They were bought with the intention of having them reworked. My initial thought was to have them replated in nickel to bring them back to as close to original condition as possible. However, having spent time researching what was possible using coatings such as Gunkote and Cerakote I liked the 'rejuvenation' that was available using colour schemes quite different from the original nickel plated look.

Based on reviews I sent two of my razors (Flare Tip and Tech) to North Shore Razors a few weeks ago and selected colours for each. Got these back yesterday and am so impressed with the end results I had to share! Here's a 'before and after' for the razors:

Flare Tip in the condition received...

Flare Tip after recoating...

Tech in the condition received...

Tech after recoating...

The colour schemes are obviously my personal preference and may not be to everyone's taste, but I think the recoating has produced a fantastic looking razor in each case. I can't wait to do more of these with Scott at North Shore Razors.

Anyone else in the AU/NZ group (or members from further afield) with stories of their recoating or replating of vintage razors?

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They do look interesting. I must admit to being a bit of a purist. I prefer things to be original or the next best thing. But yeah, you have got me thinking. Thanks.

I haven't as yet obtained a birth razor (1972 S1) but will certainly look to doing so if I can find a good one for the right price, so I appreciated your thread.

I’m always hoping that one day I’ll stumble across a vintage razor that I could send to Chris at RazorPlate.

I haven't as yet obtained a birth razor (1972 S1) but will certainly look to doing so if I can find a good one for the right price, so I appreciated your thread.

To be honest, I hadn't considered getting into the 'birth year' vintage razor thing until I spotted a Fatboy and Super Speed Flare Tip in good condition, other than cosmetic appearance. Once I realised I could get something with the correct date code I took the plunge.

I debated the recoating vs replating option and eventually decided I wanted to try the gunkote/cerakote finish I'd seen on several other forums. I'm happy I did. The Fatboy and Tech look much better in person than I captured in the photos.

The F1 Flare Tip and the older Super Speed will be off to North Shore Razors in the coming weeks (depending on house move timing). I'll post the finished results as soon these are done.

I’m always hoping that one day I’ll stumble across a vintage razor that I could send to Chris at RazorPlate.

Hey Gordon. I didn't have any vintage razors until late last year, but in my endless search for the 'perfect shave' I put my toes in the water by purchasing one or two to see how I went. The vintage Gillettes may not give me the absolutely closest, smoothest shave that I'm looking for, but they are surprisingly very, very good. As usual, I've dived in boots and all, but it was pretty easy to do when I saw what was possible with recoating.

To be honest, I hadn't considered getting into the 'birth year' vintage razor thing until I spotted a Fatboy and Super Speed Flare Tip in good condition, other than cosmetic appearance. Once I realised I could get something with the correct date code I took the plunge.

I debated the recoating vs replating option and eventually decided I wanted to try the gunkote/cerakote finish I'd seen on several other forums. I'm happy I did. The Fatboy and Tech look much better in person than I captured in the photos.

The F1 Flare Tip and the older Super Speed will be off to North Shore Razors in the coming weeks (depending on house move timing). I'll post the finished results as soon these are done.

:thumbsup: Look forward to seeing those...and I hope to learn enough to get myself a '72 1st quarter at some stage

Hey Gordon. I didn't have any vintage razors until late last year, but in my endless search for the 'perfect shave' I put my toes in the water by purchasing one or two to see how I went. The vintage Gillettes may not give me the absolutely closest, smoothest shave that I'm looking for, but they are surprisingly very, very good. As usual, I've dived in boots and all, but it was pretty easy to do when I saw what was possible with recoating.

I’ve got two vintage razors, a 40’s Fat Handled Tech and a 58 Flare Tip TV Special, which I use on a regular basis. Both are in good condition so I’m leaving them alone at the moment.

Top Bottom