What's new

Vintage Razors That Most Likely Will Never Be Put To Use Again

Yes, there's a certain flea market I go to every weekend. Two weeks ago, picked up a nice red tip for $12 (though I went back and paid $2 more voluntarily because the woman told me she paid $14) and a nice Slim for $7. This past weekend, struck out entirely. That's how it goes. But it's fast and I've gotten to know all the proprietors. They see me and will immediately say, "No razors today" or "Take a look at this" before I even open my mouth.

It's nice to establish a relationship like that. I've gotten a handfull of times to check out razors that came in. If you're already known for this, you're going to get them relatively cheap from them.

This past week went into a newish Antique mall. Found a nice travel set with a aluminum handled tech for 12 got that then spotted a rolls razor in its box for 450!!!. I laughed at that. There was one new antique store that opened and I talked to the guy about razors and as soon as he said that he's sold Fatboys on ebay for 100 bucks I knew he would be a crappy source. Went back a couple of times after than and haven't been back since. For the most part the pickings have gotten slim as all get out. The last good find I had was a cased blue tip with blade dispenser and instructions.

But I have been in plenty of shops where they have had over priced stuff that will never sell at the price they have it set at. And one of the biggest issues that thankfully I have only seen once is when someone does a destructive job of cleaning a razor up. I spotted a single ring that was sanded down with what looked like 80 grit sandpaper.

Such a shame!

Yep... we have the misfortune of being true devotees of what has become "the cool kids collectibles"

You can thank that dollar shave club guy for this I think. He's created a resurgence in shaving interest.

I suspect, that in time, the market will crash due to the fad being over and razors will get back to more sane values. What am I basing this on? Honestly, just a gut feeling.

I suspect, that in time, the market will crash due to the fad being over and razors will get back to more sane values. What am I basing this on? Honestly, just a gut feeling.

I'm not so sure, I think this is a little more than just a passing fad. With the economy being so bad, I see more guys (especially younger ones just starting out) looking for a less expensive alternative to the "latest and greatest" multi-blade cartridge. I just recently got reacquainted with a nephew that I had not seen since he was about 10 (he is now 28), and it just so happens that he shaves with a DE for purely economic reasons.

Collector pieces will always pull big bucks, but I think even user grade models will continue to rise slightly.

I have been striking out lately too but how many good hits do we really need in a year in order to fill up our bathrooms? :001_smile

Top Bottom