What's new

Vintage Razors - Do you ever sit back and wonder who used to own them?

I have lots of vintage razors. Several Gillette Old Types, both Ball End and Single Ring. I've not really thought about who used them. Strangely though, what draws me to these old razors is that it makes me sort of muse that these razors were used so long ago. But I don't wonder about the person that may have used it. I'm kind of weird that way. I focus more on how I find the razor working for me. I guess that makes me self centered, which explains a lot as well.

Last edited:
All my 50+ razors are from 1920-1960 and I think about this sometimes. I also keep track of the locations where I got them from. I find it interesting that they have ’led another life’ across the world from where they are now. And I have acquired razors from all over the world: US, all over Europe, South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Israel ... At this very time I have razors inbound from the UK, Idaho and New South Wales :cuppa:

I think about it the most when I'm using my '36 Aristocrat. I wonder if it was given as a gift, maybe some rich guy bought it, or maybe it was just bought by some average Joe who saved his money for a special razor.

I have to admit that when I started shaving, I was repulsed with second hand/old razors.
Then I got my first Gillette FatBoy....and suddenly I was falling through a black hole in the universe.
I do wonder sometimes who used them before, and more so with the real old ones...be it Gillette or straights in my case.... But I think about those people after I dunk em in barbicide and then alcohol....

It was my Mom’s dad who owned ’my’ Gillette Old Type first. I might have shaved more times with it than he did.

I would like to know more about this razor’s owner:
D7AE6238-6FA0-4EC3-9C0F-901E62F1AA77.jpeg

But I never will...

None of my other vintage razors come with stories, or even clues.

Top Bottom