What's new

Vintage razor shopping - antique stores

Found a few places locally that have nice quantities of various vintage razors. Love finding this stuff

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, where are you located. I always have to look online for this kind of stuff. I haven't been able to find a place locally. I am in Atlanta, GA, USA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In my years of searching in UK antique and charity (thrift) stores I have not seen a single vintage razor apart from Rolls razors, and certainly no DE razors. Maybe it is some absurd health and safety thing or maybe I am just never in the right place at the right time. You guys in the US seem to find quality vintage razors all the time. 👍

Here in Denmark DE’s are very(!) hard to find. Typically a rusty old OT clone or a 70s zamak Tech. I managed to find, though, 2 nice Ginge sets and a #77 RFB thin handle but that‘s it...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in Denmark DE’s are very(!) hard to find. Typically a rusty old OT clone or a 70s zamak Tech. I managed to find, though, 2 nice Ginge sets and a #77 RFB thin handle but that‘s it...
If you have problems finding old razors Peter, then heaven help the rest of us! 🤣

While still wetshaving, I've taken a break from looking at Antique stores for old Gillette shavers. Two days ago I randomly stopped at a store in Mojave Desert while on a road trip. Needless to say I scored big-time. I am finding conflicting information on the year. Some say the first year 1934, comes with the gold box. Some say it was the leather box first and the gold box (deluxe) came out in 1936. Thoughts?
20200710_120311.jpg

While still wetshaving, I've taken a break from looking at Antique stores for old Gillette shavers. Two days ago I randomly stopped at a store in Mojave Desert while on a road trip. Needless to say I scored big-time. I am finding conflicting information on the year. Some say the first year 1934, comes with the gold box. Some say it was the leather box first and the gold box (deluxe) came out in 1936. Thoughts?View attachment 1124481
That is a stunner! Great find!

While still wetshaving, I've taken a break from looking at Antique stores for old Gillette shavers. Two days ago I randomly stopped at a store in Mojave Desert while on a road trip. Needless to say I scored big-time. I am finding conflicting information on the year. Some say the first year 1934, comes with the gold box. Some say it was the leather box first and the gold box (deluxe) came out in 1936. Thoughts?View attachment 1124481
Congrats, you have a beautiful Aristocrat in great condition. I have a similar one, though the razor and case are a bit more worn. Attached is a photo. I understood that mine was an original Aristocrat, which Gillette introduced at Christmas, 1934, though I haven't researched or confirmed this. I love the combination of TTO and open comb. Probably my favorite of 11 razors.

Attachments

• Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
Nice little array of razors in the store. What did you walk away with?

None of them actually. I ended up buying a vintage adjustable, a mint tech travel razor and two everready brushes that I may restore. $27 bucks for 2 razors 2 brushes. Not a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your rivets for clarification:

I have a '36 and it's one of my favorite razors, despite the fact that I'm not that keen on gold finishes.

Loaded with a Nacet, it provided a great shave this morning.

Great snag!

Congrats, you have a beautiful Aristocrat in great condition. I have a similar one, though the razor and case are a bit more worn. Attached is a photo. I understood that mine was an original Aristocrat, which Gillette introduced at Christmas, 1934, though I haven't researched or confirmed this. I love the combination of TTO and open comb. Probably my favorite of 11 razors.
Thank you. Very nice looking razor you have there also. I had the chance to use mine yesterday and can say it provides a great shave.

Around here I can find de razors fairly often at antique stores & flea markets. I usually don't buy them unless it's something I'm particularly looking for. It's fun to find them & test yourself to identify it.

SCORE!! :a29:

Top Bottom