What's new

Vintage razor restore thoughts

As I get further and further into this, I can see this hobby can become a lot like other hobbies I have.

I have a serious question that I need the answer to... Is turning an old vintage razor into your own consider blasphemy?

The reason I ask this is because I’m ahah into old was time vintage 1911’s (handguns). This post isn’t about forward so please let’s not get detailed by this, I’m using this as an example... With old 1911, doing anything to them is considered sacrilegious. Some restore them and that’s ok, but it’s a big turn off for many.

I was considering taking an old redfilm of blue tip, cleaning them up polishing them up, and costing in PVD/IonBond/DLC... and having the “tip” costed as well.

This costing isn’t era correct, the color is not proper, and the tip will be off color as well. I have no doubt they will look amazing, but looking for the thought on this idea.

What say you all? Restore with a modern touch cool, or is this considered ruining the razor and it’s collectibility?

I just noticed this was a straight razor subforum... really the type of razor doesn’t matter... same concept regardless!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I don't think that anyone will look at you sideways for taking a vintage razor and making it your own. In fact there are plenty examples of razors (particularly Gillette adjustables for some reason) that people have had plated in interesting color combinations. I have seen others modify DE razors into half DE razors.

Now I think people might take exception if you were doing modifications to something akin to a "grail" razor such as a bottom dial adjustable or something exceptionally rare. As a general rule here - the right way to shave or enjoy your razor is the way you do it. Have a blast and post your results.

I don't think that anyone will look at you sideways for taking a vintage razor and making it your own. In fact there are plenty examples of razors (particularly Gillette adjustables for some reason) that people have had plated in interesting color combinations. I have seen others modify DE razors into half DE razors.

Now I think people might take exception if you were doing modifications to something akin to a "grail" razor such as a bottom dial adjustable or something exceptionally rare. As a general rule here - the right way to shave or enjoy your razor is the way you do it. Have a blast and post your results.

I have no clue what vintage razors are more collectible vs not. Lots of reading, and still a long way off from doing anything as mentioned! Learning to shave properly is step 1!

Honestly, what does it matter what others think?

If you are making it you own and it's for your own use, what does it matter what you do to it so long as it pleases you? If you are going to sell it, then sell it as "updated" as opposed to "original". Those who care will avoid it, and those who do not will be your customers.

Honestly, what does it matter what others think?

If you are making it you own and it's for your own use, what does it matter what you do to it so long as it pleases you? If you are going to sell it, then sell it as "updated" as opposed to "original". Those who care will avoid it, and those who do not will be your customers.

You are exactly right... and a refreshing reply! I’ve always been of this mindset. Sadly many in a lot of other hobbies are not.

looking forward to see how this all turns out!
Thx
Bc

So far the razors I’ve drastically modified were basically unusable. My WB FBU had a cracked tip, so I changed the tip from a barbers notch to a Spanish point - an invasive procedure to say the least. My Filarmonica 14 was in the same boat, but worse. My Grelot was completely black with terrible pitting, so instead of throwing it in the trash I annihilated the pitting along with the etching and modified the shoulder too.

If you can keep it original I think that’s better, but if you won’t fully enjoy using it in it’s current state then maybe it needs an update.

If yiu plan to keep it and use it, then crack on... If yiu intend to sell it on some people will criticise you but some may like it, it will like most things come down to how it looks and what it costs... Hope that makes sense

Top Bottom