What's new

Vintage razor replicas?

Is anyone currently manufacturing replicas of vintage razors, but in stainless steel for example? I would love a SS NEW SC, some of the older head designs are still amazing, but with modern materials I think you would have some real winners. With 3D printers and modern CNC equipment I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

R

romsitsa

There are "hommages" like Windrose slant or Asylum razor.
As "common" vintage gear is still more affordable than any modern, medium quality razor, I don't think making modern replicas would be anywhere profitable, except high end products, but then again, high end products usually were high end beacuse they had some added feature (plating, engraving, etc.).

Adam

don't know about SS, but Parker has several replica razors based on Gillette models. Also, Phoenix has the Prismatic based on the Kirby Beard razor. Janus is planning on introducing a new toggle adjustable razor. I'm sure there are many more. As they say, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

There are "hommages" like Windrose slant or Asylum razor.
As "common" vintage gear is still more affordable than any modern, medium quality razor, I don't think making modern replicas would be anywhere profitable, except high end products, but then again, high end products usually were high end beacuse they had some added feature (plating, engraving, etc.).

Adam

+1! I agree, the value of such modern replicas would not justify the price IMO.

Almost 100 % of the modern production is vintage replicas.
Don't expect TTOs or adjustables as their production alone would be more expensive than buying a vintage Gillette.

How do you guys come up with thread like this? Wouldn't a simple Google search answer all the questions?

I almost bought my wife a Parker 29L that looks almost like a virtual clone of the Lady Gillette before eventually finding an NOS.

The only way we will see another Fatboy will be if Gillette decided to produce a limited run unfortunately. Even a Zamac Fatboy would be expensive as heck. I have a couple mint Fatboys saved for my sons and paid dearly for them.

I also sent a couple of horrible replates to Delta Echo and Razorplate and they look almost better than new. If I could go back a few years, I would have just bought cosmetically challenged functional ones and sent them off.

How do you guys come up with thread like this? Wouldn't a simple Google search answer all the questions?

Hard to have a conversation with Google. I would bet most everything discussed here could be Googled, but what fun would that be?

I like the Weishi 9306. Basically a brass copy of a super speed and it is cheap. I still think the Muhle R41 resembles a Barbasol fh. RazoRock has the Old Type and Tech clones. None are replicas but close. Also I agree the conversation is more enjoyable than Google :a8:

According to Merriam-Webster,
Replica:
1 : an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist
2 : a copy exact in all details; broadly : copy

So, based on that definition, I would say no, there are really no true replicas of vintage razors being made. There are a number of modern razors that are meant to emulate particular vintage designs, but there are no actual exact copies.

A main reason for this is that vintage manufacturing techniques simply can't be replicated in today's world, where the market for DE razors is really quite small. Gillette, for example, could afford to capitalize some very expensive tooling and manufacturing for stamped brass razor parts, because their market was huge. Their capital investment was amortized over the sale of literally millions of units for a long period of time, so the profits were clearly there. In today's niche market world, no manufacturer can afford that kind of investment, so, sadly, there will never be another Aristocrat or Fat Boy. But the good news is that there are plenty of originals still out there.

Top Bottom