What's new

Vintage Plisson, Age, Hairgrade and Care..?

This is my first vintage brush to be honest. But I could not pass the offer.. Can anyone try to put a timestamp on this brush (maybe by judging of the design of decal and prints)? Also I am interested in what kind of hairgrade you think it could be.

The brush is sent to me from a friendly french member and the gentleman told I could use his own pictures.
Knot is 24mm
Total height is 13 cm
Can´t remember the size of loft but I gather this would be a #16. I´ll bet this will be on the floppy side but this time I did not care.
Material is horn which is nice but somewhat delicate. Many years ago I had a Thiers Issard brush in horn that cracked on me although I had been very careful when it came to looking after it. Should I oil it from time to time or would Renaissance wax be more appropiate..? Or both?

The base can be un-screwn. That is a odd feature. Would it be ok to get some epoxy down there to secure the knot?
Sorry for the myriad of questions.
Kindly
Henrik

Attachments

• plisson 1.jpg
    plisson 1.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 35
  • plisson 2.jpg
    plisson 2.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 30
  • plisson 3.jpg
    plisson 3.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 30
  • plisson 4.jpg
    plisson 4.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 28
  • plisson 5.jpg
    plisson 5.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 31
  • plisson 6.jpg
    plisson 6.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Huge loft, will be very floppy....I always recommend and give away Neatsfoot oil for nourishing the horn.
Use the pure oil, not something that is called Neatsfoot oil compound, this is a mix with solvents.

I have a similar brush. It's a bit smaller than yours and it's not branded Plisson, but it is obviously the same. Same faceted genuine horn handle with the same Pur Blaireau marking. There is a sticker on the brush that indicates it was made in France and distributed by a company in Hollywood and Florida. Based on the appearance of that sticker, I estimated the age of the brush to be around the 1960s.

Great info @tube_guy. Many thanks indeed. I also tend to the 60´s of making but I am novice so bare with me. If you could post a picture of your brush iI would be most graceful.

That's a beautiful brush. I have a high mountain white in a horn handle (size 12). One of the best knots I've used. Mine dates from a bit more than 20 years ago and has a similar logo. The handle is now full of cracks but it still works fine. Rudy's suggestion about neetsfoot oil I agree with but it probably won't stop the cracking if you use the brush regularly. Plisson lofts always seem to be rather excessive although I don't find mine to be floppy (it would be gone if it were!) mainly because the vintage HMW hair is pretty stiff with very soft tips - really excellent. Before the letters wore off it said "Haut Montagne" on the top line. "Pur Blaireau" on the second line. Yours looks way better than just a pure grade. It's likely HMW from the 1990-2000 era when Plisson was still a serious contender.

Great info added. Thanks! My french connectition actfully asked around among his friends and one thought it would have been made in tje 60’s and another guessed it would be from the 80’s. Thanks for reaching out!

I don't think it's from the 80s. Just because of the "Hollywood" on that sticker, I would think it's earlier than that. It might be late 1950s, but I still think the appearance of that sticker looks like 1960s to me.

Received it today. I am very into Simpsons and own pretty much if not all of their grades and this Plisson takes the price for sure. Ok, the loft is great but I would not call it floppy. Yes the loft is HUGE but it DO has backbone. I am comparing it from memory with a pair of Polos that I had in the past. This Plisson is softer and the artwork is immaculate.
After cleansing and disinfecting I had two coats of camelia oil (which is what I had at home and one coat of Renaissance wax) Very happy!

1647702187785.png

Last edited:
I did not soaked it just coated it 2 times but I gather your suggestion sounds more through. I will do so. Thanks

but it must be neets foot oil that is the best for horn
Well, being on the knives restorstations sections cammelia oil is all good as an option.

Gents! Any guesses about the age of mine?

I used it this evening and yep- somewhat on the floppy side but MAN it was the softest brush I have EVER used. VERY pleased with it. And that comes from a member that really favour short lofted brushes🌝

Been on knives restoration sites quite a lot the recent years As the brush is old I am contemplating soaking in oil (I finally ordered a big portion of neatsfoot). Is soaking a good idea or not?

Also I am pondering of the inside of base. I gather that will be as dry as the rest of the handle…
If I will soak that section as well the hairs on the base will be submerged as well of course.
Thoughts?

Remove the bottom if it unscrews and soak the handle just below the knot, and the neatsfoot oil will soak into the handle and rehydrate the horn you can wash the knot after not a problem.

Then wiping the handle once a month in neets is fine.....

Last edited:
Remove the bottom if it unscrews and soak the handle just below the knot, and the neatsfoot oil will soak into the handle and rehydrate the horn you can wash the knot after not a problem.
Thanks! Like you said I gather the oil will just creep up the last way and thus hydrate the inner parts as well. I am probably overthinking this but I had a TI brush in horn that cracked on me in this section. And that brush was just about a year or so before the crack started to develop..

Top Bottom