What's new

Vintage Personna Hospital Blades = 74s

I recently came across this in the wild: a 100 pack of vintage Personna blades, marked "For Hospital Use". There were 20 or so blades left in the package; I picked it up for $5. I figured what the heck, some vintage Med Preps.
IMG_6704.JPG

Then, when I unwrapped one of the blades, here is what was inside:

IMG_6706.JPG

I was very stoked to see that these were the "legendary" Personna Tungsten 74s. These blades are marked "Tungsten Plus" which I believe means that they are from the later part of the 74 run, probably around 1975 or 76.

I hadn't ever used the 74s, so I was very curious to experience their performance. A couple of shaves in, I'll have to say that the 74 does live up to its reputation as an outstanding blade. Sharp and smooth, it would easily take a spot in my top tier of blades, if I could get them. (They are also reputed to be extremely long-lived, but I can't yet give a report on that quality.)

I would say, however, that in general performance, they really aren't vastly superior to my favorite current production blades. I wouldn't go to great lengths (or expense) to get more. But, it is fun to experience these vintage classics and interesting to observe the quality of blade that was produced 40+ years ago, which is at least as good as, perhaps better than, anything in production today.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What a shame, to market a blade easily good for a month of shaves, to single use med prep usage. What a score, for you, though. Yeah that is their real claim to fame, how long they last. I actually thought the Gillette Spoilers were every bit as good a shave, maybe better. I always changed the blade weekly so I never wore either blade out, with my soft teenage whiskers.

I picked up a box of these a couple of years ago. The box actually had 103 blades in it, and I paid $15 for it. Considering the price P74 goes for, it has been the single best cost to value I've ever picked up in shave gear.

In the last couple of months a few boxes of these sold on eBay. I found 3 sold listings, at $180, $249, and $219. Great for the seller, but I'd never pay that for a box of any blade.

Nice score there. I do really like P74s, but as said above wouldn't pay much more for them than for a good modern blade. They're good, but not £1 per blade (or more) good.

Top Bottom