What's new

Vintage Personna 74 Tungsten?

I just bought a Vintage Slim adjustable and it came with a pack of Personna 74 Tungsten blades. How do these blades rate with newer blades? My favorite 2 blades now are Gillette Silver Blues and feathers.

One of the best blades ever made. Don't give up on it too soon. You will be surprised at how many GOOD shaves you will get from one. Enjoy!

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Personna 74 were, maybe arguably, the best DE blades ever made.

The exception would be American Safety Razor's Personna 74* blades. The tungsten steel alloy also incorporated a copious amount of titanium and although it held an edge like no other blade, it took a very heavy toll on the grinding and honing wheels, were which custom made by Norton Company in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Nothing shaves, for me st least, as close or as comfortable except vintage Wilkie Light Brigades and I get 30 plus shaves out of one. I picked up my last card of them for $ 11.70. My cost per shave is half what I used to pay for ,say, Astras and the shaves don't come close to comparing.

My first shave with one went very nice. 3 pass BBS using my slim adjustable set on 8. I picked up the slim adjustable with the blades for $3.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I knew it! Like the Saturn V and the SR-71, the peak of perfection was found and left in the past.

Best vintage I've used were Schicks, but I'd love to try these.

AA

.......at least Jesse James used a gun! Congrats on a GREAT deal!!!!
One of the few advantages of my forced retirement. I have the time to really scour the offerings on all my favorite vintage blades and then bid at a price that keeps my cost per shave at or well below current models for a quality of shave well above modern and longevity that blows them out of the water. That goes for every different NOS blade I use. Of course, blades are probably the most YMMV variable in this game and I would never have the time for my method of acquiring them if I was still working.

Mouser, I agree. I won't purchase the vintage blades at the many ridiculous prices being asked. Patience is a virtue.....

There is one blade that, except for the longevity, matches the 74s in performance. It's no slouch in the category going around 14 shavez for me, is even harder to get and may even be a tad smoother if possible. The Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades.

I never used one. I know they are something special. Only time I saw them was in my Uncle's stores as a kid. My Dad never used Personna blades or Gillette for that matter so never had a chance to shave with them. He was a Wilkinson guy and that is what was in our house. He thought Personna was inferior to the other brands. He was sour on Gillette blades because the blue blades were rust prone. Enjoy your shaves!

74s are terrific, but I like the late 60's Personna's better. They feel smoother, sharper, and are longer lasting than the '74s, IMO.

74s are terrific, but I like the late 60's Personna's better. They feel smoother, sharper, and are longer lasting than the '74s, IMO.
Are you talking about the Personna Super Stainless? Very good, both the Great Britain and the U.S.A versions. Among my second best list. long lasting like all the best vintage models but only about half as long lived as 74s for me.

Top Bottom