What's new

Vintage or new DE safety razor

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I much prefer to buy new.

I have tried a couple of old razors, but they didn't shave any better than my primary Edwin Jagger DE3D14, or the Merkur open comb razor I use on heavier growth. Nor do they have a soul, or any other imagined properties.

They're just razors that aren't new anymore, and have an unknown history of care/abuse. They don't come with manufacturers warranties, aren't supporting modern production jobs, and spare parts may be unavailable.

I like both vintage and modern, and you already own 3 of my favorite vintage SEs.😉

Folks saying either/or, as far as the quality of the shave, I would say have probably not tried enough variety in their disdained category. A '36 Aristocrat or a Rocket are certainly the equal of a Jaws, Karve D-F, etc., but variables such as handle length, weight, texture, all make subtle impressions.

In Europe, I would be looking for a Rocket, unnoticed Aristocrat, Leresche 51 or 52, a Red Ring in hiding...

If you would like to try an OC New, in plain brass finish, pm your address to me. I have a spare.🙂

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My personal preference is to collect "new".
But also love some retro razor designs that are exceptionally creative and undisturbed by thread loss.
img_2_1647141901745.jpg

img_1_1647141883158.jpg

img_1_1647142310296.jpg

"For me" if it's to be used, the choice will always be the new one, if I ever buy a "Vintage" again it will always be just for collection and never for use, I respect the idea of those who use them but I don't feel good with myself to use them, mainly because I don't know where they were before or who used them before, so I got rid of all the ones I had in my collection and I think it's very unlikely that I'll ever buy another one again.
I think like most Vintage items it's more the psychological factor and a fashion item than anything else.
I guess properly sanitizing used razors doesn’t get them clean enough for reuse? Barbers use the same razors on clients after sanitizing.

I have tried a couple of old razors, but they didn't shave any better than my primary Edwin Jagger DE3D14, or the Merkur open comb razor I use on heavier growth. Nor do they have a soul, or any other imagined properties.

They're just razors that aren't new anymore, and have an unknown history of care/abuse. They don't come with manufacturers warranties, aren't supporting modern production jobs, and spare parts may be unavailable.
Not sure about the history of care and abuse on a razor? It’s only a razor a quick look over and test of the adjustments; not like buying a used car.

I have new and vintage but I greatly prefer vintage. They are well-built and are proven performers. A Schick E or G or a Tech, SuperSpeed or Slim will last forever and outshave anything you can buy. And they’re cheap. I’ve never paid more than $11 for any vintage razor (or new for that matter).

100% this.

I guess properly sanitizing used razors doesn’t get them clean enough for reuse? Barbers use the same razors on clients after sanitizing.

It has nothing to do with sanitizing enough or clean enough for reuse but with feeling comfortable with what I'm using to shave and as for this part, no used material will ever make me comfortable (we're talking about used SR but the same goes for any used soap or used brush)
For this reason I have never cut my beard at any barber and I am the one who shaves my beard every day of the year :c9:
There are several options for everyone and as the saying goes "everyone has their own way of thinking" and as long as everyone's ideas are respected, we all will be happy in our own way :clap:

Lol, warranty? My modern merkur future has turned to dust. Their recommendation?... buy parts. Lol, their parts, each, are more expensive than a merkur clone.
My old used Gillette's, over 100 years old and without warranty, will last several more lifetimes.

It has nothing to do with sanitizing enough or clean enough for reuse but with feeling comfortable with what I'm using to shave and as for this part, no used material will ever make me comfortable (we're talking about used SR but the same goes for any used soap or used brush)
For this reason I have never cut my beard at any barber and I am the one who shaves my beard every day of the year :c9:
There are several options for everyone and as the saying goes "everyone has their own way of thinking" and as long as everyone's ideas are respected, we all will be happy in our own way :clap:

I have a 1964 Gillette Slim and just shaved with it yesterday. I get a better shave with my Rockwell 6s, Karve CB, and RR Lupo

My thoughts on this:

Nickel plated brass vintage beats new zamak

New SS, brass, or bronze beats vintage (generally speaking, better machining, blade clamping, etc)

I have a brillant idea to find some vintage DE safety razor.

Although after 2 weeks browsing Ebay, Etsy didn’t purchased anything yet.
Better Looking razors cost £15+. For about same price I can gest brand new razor from ConnaughtShaving.

What vintage razor are better than brand new razors under £25?

I have already Ever Ready 1912, Rolls razor, Wilkinson Sword Empire
My first DE razor was a new Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr. But, shortly after that, I got a late-1940s vintage Super Speed, and didn't look back. Overall, I've found the build-quality of the older US-built razors to be far superior to most modern razors, especially the cheapo knockoffs. Gimme an older built-in-USA, union-made product any damned day. And, as a welcome bonus, most vintage razors are considerably less expensive than the high-quality new razors. A win all around.

-Z

Top Bottom