What's new

Vintage or new DE safety razor

I have a brillant idea to find some vintage DE safety razor.

Although after 2 weeks browsing Ebay, Etsy didn’t purchased anything yet.
Better Looking razors cost £15+. For about same price I can gest brand new razor from ConnaughtShaving.

What vintage razor are better than brand new razors under £25?

I have already Ever Ready 1912, Rolls razor, Wilkinson Sword Empire

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Almost every vintage razor, especially ones which possess wear and patina, has character and history that any modern razor will not match for many years. For me that character and history has great value and consequently I find modern razors, regardless of quality and price, to be lacking something intangible which makes them dull and uninspiring. For me, a £25 Gillette Goodwill, New, or Single Ring, or a flare tip, red tip, superspeed, or rocket, beats any modern razor hands down and it is not even close. If you have an Ever Ready 1912 then you already own a fine razor 👍

Almost every vintage razor, especially ones which possess wear and patina, has character and history that any modern razor will not match for many years. For me that character and history has great value and consequently I find modern razors, regardless of quality and price, to be lacking something intangible which makes them dull and uninspiring. For me, a £25 Gillette Goodwill, New, or Single Ring, or a flare tip, red tip, superspeed, or rocket, beats any modern razor hands down and it is not even close. If you have an Ever Ready 1912 then you already own a fine razor 👍
Ever Ready 1912 is my daily razor. Great tool.

It's very hard to beat the Gillette Tech. I have 5 of them, including a prewar and a Flat Bottom. I would say that a brand new Gillette Super Blue from China shaves just as well as any vintage Tech and is really cheap. I paid £5.99 including tax and postage for mine.

The plastic handle works well, but hardly shouts quality. I chucked a spare aluminium handle on mine and it's a great daily driver.

The vintage Techs are every bit as good, possibly better quality for the older brass ones. The downside is a good one is relatively expensive, and the cheap ones look like they'd give you tetanus just by looking at them.

Screenshot_20220227-204022_Opera.jpg

Online site prices used to be really cheap for most vintage gear. There aren't so many bargains online these days. If you can shop a flea market or second-hand goods store, you might pick up something good for a low price. Or else, just be patient and maybe you'll get lucky on an online auction.

If you can see yourself with a single edge razor, the old GEMs are not very expensive. Some of the Schick and Pal injectors can be found for little money. The Schick Krona razors are sometimes a good deal.

Vintage razors are cool and I personally love collecting them and they are very good shaves, but I find the well made modern razors (in general) to be more efficient and overall better shavers. If you like mild and medium efficient razors, then vintage is more than enough, but if you want crazy efficiency, the modern razors are the way to go.

I agree as others here have stated; the Ever Ready 1912 is an excellent razor .. if a not too pretty razor.

There are some very good quality Chinese made stainless steel clones (head only) available for the money you quote.

However, you will get a Gillette HD for around £25 on eBay if you keep a keen eye on there.
For maybe £10 more you'll get the fancier Aristocrat Jr .. both of which give exceptionally smooth & efficient shaves.

My own current favourite is a Myatt Daymark base plate with Old top cap; real Franken-Razor. This gives as smooth a shave as the best Gillette .. but closer & more efficient. These come up now and again.

"For me" if it's to be used, the choice will always be the new one, if I ever buy a "Vintage" again it will always be just for collection and never for use, I respect the idea of those who use them but I don't feel good with myself to use them, mainly because I don't know where they were before or who used them before, so I got rid of all the ones I had in my collection and I think it's very unlikely that I'll ever buy another one again.
I think like most Vintage items it's more the psychological factor and a fashion item than anything else.

For the price point? Vintage. In the uk market, you have a few types to choose from. I think techs, rockets, super speeds are the commons there for the price .

The first modern precision-machined razor I bought turned every vintage razor I'd ever shaved with into little more than a novelty. If I ever shave with a vintage razor again, or even a modern cast razor, it'll be a one-off for some specific comparative reason, or against my will. With how inexpensive Razorock stainless razors are, there's not much excuse to settle for less, imho.

I have a brillant idea to find some vintage DE safety razor.

Although after 2 weeks browsing Ebay, Etsy didn’t purchased anything yet.
Better Looking razors cost £15+. For about same price I can gest brand new razor from ConnaughtShaving.

What vintage razor are better than brand new razors under £25?

I have already Ever Ready 1912, Rolls razor, Wilkinson Sword Empire
The only 'modern' razor you should be looking at is The open comb Fatip Piccolo Mk2, for £15. Solid brass, hand made in Italy, timeless beauty.

Behold!
IMG_20220205_200833623~2.jpg

Now thats 'crazy efficient'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom