What's new

Vintage Old Spice Shaving Soap Condition Assessment

Hey All,

I recently picked up a 3.75 oz puck of old spice shaving soap sealed in the plastic wrapper, and notice that the bottom of the puck appears to have some spots of darker yellow/orange discoloration. I notice that the white cardboard inside the box is a little hardened and discolored as well, which seems to indicate it might have been stored in a damp location. I am wondering if this would indicate that the soap has gone bad, and if I should expect the performance to be poor? The soap has a relatively pleasant smelling odor from what I can tell while its still in the package, but I'm trying to decide if its worth it to open this one or not. I have never seen a discolored puck like this, and won't bother using it if the lather or shave quality would be expected to be subpar.

Soap_Bottom.jpg

Soap_Top.jpg

Soap_Box.jpg

It looks like the consensus is a resounding yes to using it. I should also note that I have a couple other unsealed pucks of vintage old spice, so I don't need to use this one. My original concern was that I recall reading about someone a while back that claimed their puck of plastic wrapped vintage old spice didn't lather well, so just trying to avoid that situation.

Last edited:
I decided to test out that puck based on all of the enthusiastic advice, and my reaction after lathering it is simply WOW! It only took but a handful of swirls, and the puck exploded with the thickest and richest lather one could ever hope for. Performance on the face was simply amazing, and just as long lasting as could be expected. I guess that goes to show a little discoloration is not necessarily a problem, but makes me wonder about those reporting poor lathering from their NOS pucks.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I decided to test out that puck based on all of the enthusiastic advice, and my reaction after lathering it is simply WOW! It only took but a handful of swirls, and the puck exploded with the thickest and richest lather one could ever hope for. Performance on the face was simply amazing, and just as long lasting as could be expected. I guess that goes to show a little discoloration is not necessarily a problem, but makes me wonder about those reporting poor lathering from their NOS pucks.
Only thing I can think of is they weren't using any water! It's gotta be some of the easiest stuff to lather.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was going to say use it like the other members. I am glad that you did. I have a puck here still in the original Old Spice Mug. I am going to use it soon. If I don’t it will most likely just get tossed out when I am dead and buried.

Top Bottom