What's new

vintage old spice shaving mug - disappointing realisation

posties just delivered one of these to me, which appeals cos of my new found love of vintage gillette razors....

proxy.php

there a ridges inside which are supposed to help create a nice lather but OH!! WHAT A NOISE!!!
as im whipping up the lather, my faux ivory brush is clank clank clanking against the side, it sounds awful, really high pitched!

anyone else used one of these and found the same? dont know whether to just sell it on and look for a shallow bowl, or see if its still too noisy if i used a different brush with a wooden handle maybe.

It's for soap not for lather.

Those ridges are to keep a soap puck form spinning.

For a lather bowl you need something wider and a bit bigger.

I'm a face lather guy, so I just use it as a container to hold a puck of soap. With the soap taking up some of the depth I don't have issues with the brush handle hitting the side.

ah, ok, you live and learn :) i havent got round to deciding on my favourite lathering technique yet, but i think i prefer using a lathering bowl rather than directly from the soap.

so....my mistake on its use. disappointing tho.

thanks

EDIT: just thinking, spose i could transfer my proraso soap from its dish into the mug, and use the plastic proraso dish for whipping up lather until i settle on a method? hmmm...... :)

also for those that use it for holding soap, what about when the soaps nearly gone? or would you just keep it topped up and never use the bottom of the soap?

Last edited:
If you want a decent bowl to experiment with, walmart sells salsa bowls for a couple of buck and they work really well. They are a nice way to experiment without dropping the coin on a handmade pottery bowl that you may or may not use. I've also found my old spice mugs are the perfect size for a pre shave brush soak. Don't have to worry about the handle falling in while I'm in the shower.

If you want a decent bowl to experiment with, walmart sells salsa bowls for a couple of buck and they work really well. They are a nice way to experiment without dropping the coin on a handmade pottery bowl that you may or may not use.
yeah, ive been using a small dog bowl for now, but ill maybe try that little proraso bowl. not sure how id keep the lather warm between passes tho. i dunked the old spice mug in hot water to keep it warm. just that extra bit of luxury over cold lather :)

If you want to PIF to me I would gladly accept it! :laugh:
its the sort of thing id do to help others out, but im in UK so postage wouldnt be worth it. ill see how i get on with it as a soap holder for now......

I've also found my old spice mugs are the perfect size for a pre shave brush soak. Don't have to worry about the handle falling in while I'm in the shower.

This is what I do. I face lather and use soft soaps that have their own container. When I'm done the shave I stand the brush up in the Old Spice mug.

I've noticed those Old Spice mugs popping up a lot on Ebay. while I have yet to decide on soap or cream, they do look cool. Like was mentioned above, they could be used to store my brush, if nothing else.

Do NOT pour hot water into an Old Spice glass milk (milk glass?) cup; it will crack.

I put my puck into the vintage Old Spice mug I use every day and microwave it in two 11 second zaps to melt the puck into the mug for a perfect fit. The trick is not to shock it or get it too hot.

I'm a face lather guy, so I just use it as a container to hold a puck of soap. With the soap taking up some of the depth I don't have issues with the brush handle hitting the side.
Yes, this is what they were meant for. I load my brush in mine and move to a proper bowl for lather building.

I love them. I have 12 of them. 7 holding different soaps, 4 with the original pucks still in them, and 1 Friendship holding blades and stuff.
I think my wife thinks I have too many.

I love 'em also.

I have three. One from antique store, one from my 87 year old father and one from my long departed grandfather. Wouldn't part with the second two of them for anything.

I just use them as designed. Put soap in there and load on the soap. Finish lathering on my ugly face.

I have one also - but I load the soap from there, build in a bowl and then lather my ugly face :001_smile

I love 'em also.

I have three. One from antique store, one from my 87 year old father and one from my long departed grandfather. Wouldn't part with the second two of them for anything.

I just use them as designed. Put soap in there and load on the soap. Finish lathering on my ugly face.

Top Bottom