What's new

Vintage Old Spice Question

I bought a bottle of 1970s Old Spice to bring back some memories (mostly of my uncles since my dad used Afta). I don't really remember what it is supposed to smell like since I have not sniffed a bottle since I was a kid. On this site I read that it was spicier than the new stuff, but the aftershave I received is really, really spicy. I rubbed some on my wrist and it smelled as if it a bunch of pepper was added to the lotion before the seller shipped it to me. After about 30 minutes the pepper smell goes away, but the remaining scent (which is more what I remember from when I was a kid) does not last more than a couple of hours. I thought this aftershave was supposed to be a powerful concoction.

Do you guys think I got something that went bad or do things seem to be okay?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't associate pepper with the smell of Old Spice at all, but everyone is a little different I suppose.
Old Spice was a fairly strong scent, but it didn't last for hours and hours on me either.
Maybe someone else can smell it after a few hours, but I go nose blind.
Have you compared it to the new, or to the cheap knock offs (which are just as good) like Vi John?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I bought a bottle of 1970s Old Spice to bring back some memories (mostly of my uncles since my dad used Afta). I don't really remember what it is supposed to smell like since I have not sniffed a bottle since I was a kid. On this site I read that it was spicier than the new stuff, but the aftershave I received is really, really spicy. I rubbed some on my wrist and it smelled as if it a bunch of pepper was added to the lotion before the seller shipped it to me. After about 30 minutes the pepper smell goes away, but the remaining scent (which is more what I remember from when I was a kid) does not last more than a couple of hours. I thought this aftershave was supposed to be a powerful concoction.

Do you guys think I got something that went bad or do things seem to be okay?

1. Where did you purchase it?

2. Was it NOS when purchased or open used?

3. What type of decanter is it in? Is it clear glass and you can see it’s contents? Or is it in the classic white milk glass type bottle?

4. If it’s NOS, you are smelling it correctly.

5. If it was purchased used and open, it’s anyone’s guess what is actually in the bottle.

6. If the bottle is their classic white glass and you cannot see the actual aftershave inside? Get a glass measuring cup or other type of glass container. Then first clean the inside of the empty glass or cup with alcohol and dry it, so as not to contaminate the aftershave. Then pour the contents of the bottle into the glass.

What do you see? Sediment? Pepper flakes? Or is it clear? If it’s clear, what color is the liquid? Does it appear amber colored? If it does, it’s probably Old Spice. If it’s clear? Or any other hue of yellow, green or blue? It could be something else entirely or a mix of anything really.

I always suggest to purchase NOS the very first time when looking for the original vintage Shulton Old Spice.

Once you have exact knowledge of it’s scent and use from an unopened package, your nose will know exactly what is or isn’t Old Spice.

Also, looking for used opened product in the wild thrift stores, antique malls and shops, flea markets and such is better then buying opened used bottles online.

When found in the wild, you can pour a sample into your hand. It’s what I do. If it doesn’t smell and look exactly what I know it should be? I will pass and move on.

When shopping used open bottles on the bay or other sites, my experience has shown me, if a bottle is opened but yet appears full?

Good chance it’s modern OS or something else? If it’s partially filled, and in a decanter that is clear and the juice inside can be seen? Does the liquid match the color you know? Do you see any floaters? What condition does the bottle look like? Is it dirty? Discolored? Stained?

Does the decanter still come with the box? PM the seller. Ask for more or better pics. Ask them where they got it? Ask if it’s the original juice inside? Ask them how it was stored? In a dark cool closet or cabinet? In a hot attic in the garage?

Remember, if you pm a seller and they tell you it is the original juice and is uncontaminated, you can ask the seller for a verbal written promise of such in their pm response.

If you find out differently upon receipt, you can open a claim and forward their pm’s stating their promise along with pictures of any contamination you find.

I have a lifetime supply of vintage Shulton in many types of decanters and bottles. The more I bought, the more experienced I got in finding what was good and rejecting what wasn’t. :)

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah, I didn't want to cast aspersions on the seller, and I'm not suggesting they did so, but...
There is a cottage industry on eBay of filling old bottles of discontinued fragrance with new stuff and selling it at old stuff prices.
You have to be careful.

This was an ebay purchase. It was a gift set, in an original box, containing an aftershave and a cologne. The listing didn't state that it was NOS, but I figured that if they had filled the old bottle with Procter and Gamble juice, then I would enjoy the new stuff (from threads I read here the new OS is okay). I'm not worried that this aftershave is fake (new Old Spice), I'm just wondering if went bad (or partially bad). It does smell like Old Spice. The pepper smell is an undertone (it is not dominant) and I am not able to detect it in the cologne.

I'm still going to use it. Like I mentioned, it is Old Spice.

Will Old Spice from the 60s smell exactly the same as bottles from the 70s and the 80s (assuming that all the bottles are properly stored over the years) ?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Most of my old spice bottles date from the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. While some smell more concentrated than others due to evaporation of water or alcohol or both, they all still smell of the richness and goodness of Shulton.

Wouldn’t a peppery note be a good thing? :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I don't associate pepper with the smell of Old Spice at all, but everyone is a little different I suppose.
Old Spice was a fairly strong scent, but it didn't last for hours and hours on me either.
Maybe someone else can smell it after a few hours, but I go nose blind.
Have you compared it to the new, or to the cheap knock offs (which are just as good) like Vi John?

Just as good? Blasphemy! :)

Top Bottom