What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Missed a thread here when I posted this morning (three others seemed appropriate, but so's this one). Here's a Souplex with a hollow handle. Shaved nicely this morning with an Astra SP.

Screenshot from 2023-03-12 09-24-38.png

Thanks for that, Thomas. Here are the two advertisements. There's some obvious similarities as you point out. Maybe the Alma Cesia is in fact another model made by Mirabilia!

View attachment 1613025View attachment 1613026
in the Fascist period the Duce began to have the company I.T.A.L.I.A. produce razors in autarkic fashion. Industria Torinese Laminated Steel Articles included Lama Italia razors, Ramir, Mirabilia, Casanova 930, Nova, Alita, Alma Cesia and respective blades

Here's two "Metafab" razors, a closed bar and an open comb, from Switzerland. I got them as a package on the German Ebay. I love the wooden case with the dovetailing. Both razors and cases are in good shape, they don't even smell musty which is rare for my acquisitions! I haven't used either yet. They seem "dainty" as the cap and base are quite thin but both feel very well made at the same time. Typical Swiss quality!

KK013882.JPGKK013887.JPGKK013892.JPGKK013897.JPGKK013899.JPGKK013902.JPGKK013905.JPG

I am going to tell you something about razor collecting. There are still deals to be made. I too wish I have started earlier. But not because razors were cheaper. But because I would have a bigger collection.

My average (Yes, my purchases are in an excel sheet) is 55$. Only 31 are over a 100$. Some rare razors in early 2000 were more expensive than razors now. It is due partly to these flippers, they unearthed so many of them that the price dropped.

I would give you the names of these razor, but it would probably mean nothing to people here in the forum, since they're heavily DE oriented.

One big collector in France told me he had a friend that at the time had 80 insanely rare razors and now he has only 10 rare. People unearthed more razors and those he though were rare became much more common.

If you're collecting, then you're collecting for the long term, you will come across score you won't believe you can come across.

Stay sharp and don't obsess over things, you'll end up paying much more because you're impatient (I should give that advice to myself too).

PS: Do as I say but don't do as I do.🤣
Aside from their collector value, you can always use your vintage razors to shave with. Baseball cards, for example, have no use other than as collectibles. The thrill of the hunt for vintage razors is a lot of the fun. Earlier this year, I bought a Schick injector Type A in great shape after patiently looking at auction sites for months. The Type A also shaves great.

Top Bottom