What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Generic "Solingen" handle from the 30ies and upwards. Can be whatever is stamped on the bottom of the handle or onto the box. Pure zamak as is the head.
For eg. ROMI:

I was digging for some information about a couple of vintage razors and I came across these pictures. As soon as I saw the handle, I knew it was the same razor. Some describe it as ''rare'', but I'm not sure how rare would a zamak razor be.

globus3.jpg
9080-84060d50540c2a92dc75053986cbb283.jpg
9081-9e66595771ba517d893e3763451f7841.jpg
9082-8592c0b2c00ed53ffbe9334bb68398ee.jpg
9083-67bcedb7fe836e15f1d9d6958692fbd8.jpg

R

romsitsa

If it is marked Globusmann, it is a Globusmann and as such can be a bit uncommon (very far from rare).
But it can be from 20 other brands, or unbraned as these were basically white label items.

If it is marked Globusmann, it is a Globusmann and as such can be a bit uncommon (very far from rare).
But it can be from 20 other brands, or unbraned as these were basically white label items.

I think people just love to label things as rare, because they simply haven't seen much of this or that razor in the past few months and therefore they think it's rare. Some vintage razors, such as most the German ones in general were never really that popular to begin with or were made for a very short period of time only for the German market.

The truly rare vintage razors are mostly special or limited edition high end models, the custom made ones, those for the test market and of course, the prototypes.

How does it shave compared to the Star 100?

Afraid I don't have one of those. Yet. It's good against a 50s English ball end Tech - more substantial feel and a better grip on the handle - but I'll have to get back to you after I've done a bit more shopping.

I continue to stand by that affirmation :) But of course, YMMV, and this should always be the case. A very simple and clear example of different positions (pun intended) is that, considering the very big number of people I see using the 15/17 and liking it (these razors are not rare in France, although very sought after, so many french users have one), I can be near-objectively sure it is a good razor, although it is really not for me. Same thing goes with the Le Coq Licence Palmer : many love it, I hate it.

One thought, if I continue hating what most people find good, I might not be of good advice :D

Thomas my friend, I am with you. The Gibbs is ok but the License Palmer was not to my liking. Don’t hold the blade tight. But it is beautiful allright. The Le Supreme on the other hand ticks all boxes…. :c1:

R

romsitsa

I think people just love to label things as rare, because they simply haven't seen much of this or that razor in the past few months and therefore they think it's rare. Some vintage razors, such as most the German ones in general were never really that popular to begin with or were made for a very short period of time only for the German market.

The truly rare vintage razors are mostly special or limited edition high end models, the custom made ones, those for the test market and of course, the prototypes.

What I see is that the US has the largest market for vintage shaving stuff. So anything not common (but known) at the other side of the pond will be sought after all over the world.
Test market and prototype only adds value if it is Gillette and even then it has to be sought after/hyped up.
Most of the "rare" razors can be found continously on ebay, while there are truly rare ones which no one knows about, but it takes years till somewhere one pops up.

@romsitsa @Medivh

Rare is irrelevant. Justifiably rare is relevant. An item that is produced in small batches that are copycats of a Gillette old type with a random name stamped on it is rare.But not justifiably rare. If that copycat has made to be offered to a few distinguished war heroes, then it is Justifiably rare.

Traps are everywhere to fish some fools. I was one of those and I probably still am on occasions.

Collecting is a hobby dominated by emotions. Emotions can be manipulated to exact a profit.

Example of known traps:

• Gillette Toggle. There is almost no a single day of the year where you don't see one selling. Most of the time there are a few. When I talk to some of these sellers, they got them for very cheap in antique shops.
  • Gibbs adjustable razors, they could be found in France for bout 10 Eur and yet sold at 200 Eur
  • Darwin razors, almost no day goes by without seeing one on sale.
Save your money, grow your collection and leave most of the expensive stuff for a much later stage of your collection. Because you will eventually find it for cheap at some point.

Ah, one more thing. Learn about a category before you delve into it. German, French, Bakelite, swivel, adjustable, etc...
Knowledge will save you a lot of money.

Thomas my friend, I am with you. The Gibbs is ok but the License Palmer was not to my liking. Don’t hold the blade tight. But it is beautiful allright. The Le Supreme on the other hand ticks all boxes…. :c1:
Yes it is beautiful, I kept two version in my collection, but I don't use them.

As for the Le Supreme, well this is again a model that I really didn't like :D Although damn, that razor is extremely cool...

@romsitsa @Medivh

Rare is irrelevant. Justifiably rare is relevant. An item that is produced in small batches that are copycats of a Gillette old type with a random name stamped on it is rare.But not justifiably rare. If that copycat has made to be offered to a few distinguished war heroes, then it is Justifiably rare.

Traps are everywhere to fish some fools. I was one of those and I probably still am on occasions.

Collecting is a hobby dominated by emotions. Emotions can be manipulated to exact a profit.

Example of known traps:

• Gillette Toggle. There is almost no a single day of the year where you don't see one selling. Most of the time there are a few. When I talk to some of these sellers, they got them for very cheap in antique shops.
  • Gibbs adjustable razors, they could be found in France for bout 10 Eur and yet sold at 200 Eur
  • Darwin razors, almost no day goes by without seeing one on sale.
Save your money, grow your collection and leave most of the expensive stuff for a much later stage of your collection. Because you will eventually find it for cheap at some point.

Ah, one more thing. Learn about a category before you delve into it. German, French, Bakelite, swivel, adjustable, etc...
Knowledge will save you a lot of money.

True. Toggles and 15/17 Gibbs adjustables are not even remotely rare, but since there's a huge demand and some folks want to own more than one as well as countless re-sellers lurking in the shadows, the prices have jumped to the roof.

I was also told that before the introduction of the Rex Ambassador, the Gibbs adjustable razors were not that expensive and the ones in decent condition were going for less than $100, but after people learned that the Rex Ambassador was inspired by the Gibbs, they went crazy over them.

Yep, Barbasol Floating Head one of my favorite.

View attachment 1617482View attachment 1617483

I've decided to pick up a Swedish Matador De Luxe recently (and I'm still waiting for it to arrive) as an alternative to the Barbasol, since the head design is very similar, but the Matador is way cheaper and some like it way more than the Barbasol itself. If I happen to find one for less than $100, I would probably buy it, but most are going for at least $150 and I think that's too much.

I've decided to pick up a Swedish Matador De Luxe recently (and I'm still waiting for it to arrive) as an alternative to the Barbasol, since the head design is very similar, but the Matador is way cheaper and some like it way more than the Barbasol itself. If I happen to find one for less than $100, I would probably buy it, but most are going for at least $150 and I think that's too much.
$150 is def too much. I pick mine from an antique store for about $20 six years ago.

$150 is def too much. I pick mine from an antique store for about $20 six years ago.

I'd definitely buy one for $20. Problem is, in my end of the world it's very hard to find any nice razors. Vintage blades can be found though, but cool razors don't show up very often.

I'd definitely buy one for $20. Problem is, in my end of the world it's very hard to find any nice razors. Vintage blades can be found though, but cool razors don't show up very often.
That's unfortunate. they seem to have dried up in my areas of searching, which is why I've been going to ebay lately.

The Star 100/Pal/Personna is on my list, but I can't find one in both great condition and cheap enough.
I stumbled across mine at a small-town thrift shop in about 2012. I had gone in to search for certain Pyrex bowl patterns and the Star 100 was in the glass display case where the cashier was located. I almost didn't buy it, but it was only $6.00 and I figured I could use it as a backup/travel razor. Didn't ever use it for a year or two. It is now one of my most cherished and I never travel with it for fear of losing it. The grip and weight on that brass handle is marvelous. Keep looking. Cheers.

Top Bottom