What's new

Vintage Modern

Before commenting: usually when pics such as I will post arise there is shrill screaming and the sound of dried peas rattling in a can. The dried peas sound is the dropping testicles of staunch purists and "EXPERTS". Please, don't.

For direct introduction, this was my grandfather's 5 screw pre-Model 10 that he acquired sometime in the late 19-teens to early 20s. He carried it as a night watchman at a gas station in rural SE Texas, and on a variety of other excursions.

This came to me in fairly rough shape, heavy pitting on the cylinder, hammer spur and along the trigger guard.

I did a full restore, in the Fitz(-gerald) style. It is Ceracoated, all original parts except the cylinder. Timing is perfect, and in full Fitz spirit, I serrated the top of the hammer 20 LPI. DA is beautiful, exactly what you expect from an old S&W that was carried much and shot not overly often. The screws were rough, and have been replaced with 5-44 Allen heads to go with a bit of modern flair. The grip is a chopped Hogue hard nylon, refinished with truck-bed coating for a bit more grip, held in place with a bit of 1/8" stainless tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_205517591.jpg
    IMG_20220201_205517591.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
I used a new M-64 cylinder, since turning down the old one to remove the pitting worked, but I definitely wouldn't shoot any hot loads. This offers a bit more freedom.

My only other addition will be an XS dot, pinned over the soon to be front ramp stub.😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Looks great. Well done! I think it's a great way to preserve the memory of your grandfather. No dried peas coming from me.
I only get to take mine out once or twice a year, so, yeah, none from me either!

I am shocked how at first glance it looked so much like my Ruger LCR.

That's what I love about revolvers: they are timeless, and allow me to say, "Hi ho Silver, away!" every single time I walk out to my hillbilly gun range!

Wow, you did a fine job bringing that piece to life. Did you happen to take any "before" pictures?
Heck no, that would have made sense!😜

Aside from the against-the-body areas, and where it was pressed in a leather holster for the last 30 years with no real care, it was not bad. I did not say, but I did not do the Cera. The shop I used was a bit light on the blasting, and I'm seeing some wear-through on the hammer, after a couple hundred dry firings.

Not a huge deal, as I could not have done Duracoat (which I'm set up to do) because the snubby is so tight, and it would have made getting the side plate on impossible.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nice job! I'm of the opinion that museums have "collections". I have guns. That means they are meant to be shot. If that means a restoration 'ruining' the collector value, who cares?

I always wondered why they took off the front of the trigger guard back then. It was a fairly popular mod, you see it quite a bit from that era. I've never found the front of the trigger guard to be a hindrance in getting my finger on the trigger, but it just makes it all the more interesting, IMO. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Nice job! I'm of the opinion that museums have "collections". I have guns. That means they are meant to be shot. If that means a restoration 'ruining' the collector value, who cares?

I always wondered why they took off the front of the trigger guard back then. It was a fairly popular mod, you see it quite a bit from that era. I've never found the front of the trigger guard to be a hindrance in getting my finger on the trigger, but it just makes it all the more interesting, IMO. Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! The trigger guard chop had a couple of points of "intentional design". If you look at holsters of the era, most will have a cut-out for the index finger to be on the trigger as the pistol is drawn, so overall speed was emphasized over (what we today deem) safety. More importantly, these were up close and personal weapons, and gun grabs were not at all uncommon. Disarming techniques specifically involved wrapping the cylinder with your hand to prevent firing, and turning, or forcing the guy with the gun to turn, so that the barrel would point rearward and parallel to his forearm, breaking or removing his trigger finger. Reflexive action will force most anyone to open their hand, with that type of rearward force on the index finger, causing you to release the gun. Can't be done with a Fitz.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice job on restoring not only an old piece that still has a lot of life, but also one in which you have a connection.

Top Bottom