What's new

Vintage Military Razor ID needed - Federal Simplex brass and Bakelite razors?

Ran across three razors today. I was in a hurry and couldn't negotiate as I didn't have any cash on me.

These razors were possibly military. The handles resemble Federal Razor Blade Company (of NY) in handle style, and two have Bakelite parts. The fact that they are military is proffered by the owner. But only one seems military as the two others seem quite civilian and decorative. Can you help me develop a "maybe they are" from the following descriptions?

1. One is three piece, all tarnished brass, very lightweight brass handle that seems hollow and is hexagonal/octagonal in shape, tapering down from base to the head (75mm?). It is stamped with "Pat Pending" and "Made in USA" on the head. The head is open comb with short, small teeth, similar to an old type. It is quite compact. It looks like a Simplex, only all brass.
  2. Another is three piece. It has a possible Bakelite faux ivory handle with a similar hex/octa shape tapering to the head, but much thinner. The head is all tarnished brass and open comb, and similar to the above.
  3. The last is three piece and all Bakelite. It has the hex/octa handle, but similar in size to #1 above. It resembles the true Federal Simplex as well, but is blue, not black.

These razors don't feel substantial; they are lightweight, like military issue (or PX). They are quite unique looking.

Any help on the above?

Last edited:
Pics. We need pics.

What he said.

Many clones and clones of clones were produced, sometimes even with pics it's not easy to ID a razor.

Anyway, here's a start ... that number 1, does it look like this or at least close enough?

$razor.jpg

Yes. Except the handle tapered gradually down to the head and was more squared off at the tip; and it might have been more octagonal, where your example looks more hex.

It was also very clean, only tarnished, as if I could take some brass polish and quickly make it look like an new bed post. I should have taken pics, but it's one of those situations where buying them would have been simpler, only all I had were cards. I saw no evidence of this razor having another surface: no finish remnants, no paint, no anything, not anywhere. It's like it was always intended to be brass.

Of course, this is all from memory. I'll go pick them up or take pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here are pics...

The brass one is actually 2-piece and the handle tapers down to the head. CON RAD and Made in USA stamped under head.View attachment 544135View attachment 544136

The blue one is 2-peice and actually all aluminum or some pot metal with a stainless cap. Old Pal, Hollow Ground blade rusted in.

The Bakelite one is all Bakelite, except for the black painted cap, and is indeed a 3-piece. Old Gillette Blue Blade inside. National logo stamped inside.

Last edited:
McDaddy, I can see the similarity between my blue one and your black one. Any ideas on the other two? The Bakelite on says "National" on the head. The brass one says CON RAD, almost like two words the way it's stamped.

I confused about the picture upload. Did I do it wrong? I click the insert image button and it uploads right off my computer. Is this not the correct way?

Last edited:
More Conrad razors here:

Thanks Edgar,

Looks like I now have a small collection of CONRAD razors. One older all brass, one all metal in blue, and one in Bakelite. I think I can see where the original collector was going with this... trying to get a representative sample of the brand. I think they are worth keeping for that very same reason.

And since the reviewer said they give reasonably good shaves too, well, all the better.

Thanks again, as always.

Last edited:
Thanks Edgar,

Looks like I now have a small collection of CONRAD razors. One older all brass, one all metal in blue, and one in Bakelite. I think I can see where the original collector was going with this... trying to get a representative sample of the brand. I think they are worth keeping for that very same reason.

And sense the reviewer said they give reasonably good shaves too, well, all the better.

Thanks again, as always.

That's cool, enjoy the razors! :thumbup1:

I'll try shaving with the brass version soon. Not sure if I'll chance the Bakelite one until I work up some courage!

Top Bottom