What's new

Vintage merkur slant or a frankenrazor

I purchased a merkur slant at an antique store last week for $25. It was in an ivory plastic case with a couple of Merkur blades. The packing boo 'll o.k.x is in pretty good shape and has the id #640-13 on it. Inside the plastic case is written, "original Merkur Solingen, D.R.P., MADE IN GERMANY".
The handle seems off white in color. I haven't cleaned the razor yet. It seems to have evidence of silver plating tarnish on the bands. There are no id marks on the the bottom razor head. The only mark on the top plate is the #2.
My question is do I have some sort of frankenrazor or do I have a vintage Merkur slant?

Attachments

• 14959110375931326477061.jpg
    14959110375931326477061.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 81
Looks like you got the real deal! Looks like it's in good condition. I just got a vintage Merkur yesterday and it was also a long post, and the bottom screw comes out completely like the Gillette Single Rings used to. That compression ring that keeps the bottom screw secured in the handle came along a lot later. Wait till you shave with the Merkur slant, it is one of the best slants out there.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The box looks like an ordinary razor, but the razor looks like a slant.

Let the others give their opinion.

Wrong outer box, although correct period. What you have is a Merkur 38 slant. Handle is silverplated, head chrome. The white plastic box is original to this model, and other models as well. Nice razor, handle is a bit thinner then the 37, making it a bit lighter. Shaves terrific.
The outer box original to this model shows a slant and has model number 640-38 on it. This razor came with one Merkur blade.
As for timeframe: this model is shown in a 1950s Merkur catalogue. I don't know how long they had been made at that time, or how long they have been made after.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Vintage Merkur -- 36 or 37 model. Boxes don't always match the razor but in your case it seems you have a box for gvw755's razor!
Congrats. Try not to over-clean the whitish finish on the handle, you'll regret it if you take it off. The rest of the handle is silver plate.

Check the Nr.640 on the right page of this 1956 pricelist:
8757752ecd.jpg

Top Bottom