What's new

Vintage Leica ID

I stumbled across this at an antique shop today. Didn't come home with me. Not enough money in my pocket and more than I wanted to risk with no real knowledge of vintage photo gear. I scratched the price out in the pic, it's not cheap, but from what I've seen on the bay ones labeled as parts or repair go for 3 times the price body only and this has 2 lenses and extras. Really thinking I should go back. Not looking for appraisal, I guess I'm just looking for conformation this is what I think it is and any tips of what to look at before buying. Thanks for any info.
20190523_134332.jpg
20190523_134309_LI.jpg

Nice camera. If it works ok, I'd think about it pretty hard. The M3 is probably the most popular Leica so it probably won't ever be worth less than it's worth now as long as they're making film so it should be a safe investment. Film isn't as convenient as digital but a lot of people still like to work with film. Those are really great lenses too and worth quite a bit on their own.

Thanks for the response. From the little bit I've been looking I'm going back tomorrow and look closer. If it looks as good as I think it'll come home with me. Just really hoping it's still there.

Legion

Staff member
Yep, M3. The serial number indicates that it was made in 1964 (the same year as my one).

I'm not sure that is the original case, seems a little big on the right.

May regard the M3 as the greatest camera ever made, and whenever you read lists of "the top ten cameras of all time", the M3 usually is listed as #1.

Condition is everything. If it has technical issues getting it serviced properly will be expensive.

Thanks, I Just saw a chart and thought it was a '64, glade to know for sure. looks like the later ones are more desirable too, but yeah condition trumps all. I also just found this video. Looks like a lot of great info to know. I'll be watching it a few times.

Legion

Staff member
Basically, the early examples have a double stroke wind on mechanism, the later have single stroke. As a rule, the single stroke are worth a little more, and spare parts more available.

That example is a single stroke.

Hold the lenses up to a light and look through them. Check for fungus, scratches, oil on the aperture blades, that the aperture stops down properly.

Check the shutter at various speeds. Hold it up to a strong light with no lens and look to see if there are any pinholes or issues with the cloth shutter. Try to check the distance settings on the rangefinder as best you can. look in the bottom and make sure the take up spool is still in there. Those get lost.

Last edited:
It came home with me today. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

Well here are some pics. This thing really does look super clean, just a few little scratches here and there and a little dirt around the dials. the inside looks very clean. Hard to believe it's from the 60's. Viewfinder looks clean and bright. Everything seems to work. Glass all looks great, no fungus, hazing or scratches, just a little dust. Apertures work smoothly, no signs of grease. Also I think the case is original it says Leica on the front, and does fit a little better than it looked in the first pic. It is a little bigger than it needs to be though.

The shutter speed seemed a little funny at first though. When on the slower speeds it seemed to click pretty fast still, but would slow down for bulb mode. After a few dozen cycles it seems like its working right now. I assume it just needs a cleaning and lube. Well I guess its time to get to the pics.
P1100091.JPG
P1100083.JPG
P1100109.JPG
P1100098.JPG
P1100114.JPG

Yeah, it came with everything in that pic. the meter says Gossen Luna Pro, it has good batteries and seems to work. I have no clue how to use it, but the needle moves when I push the button and changes if I point toward shadow vs light. I've been thinking of trying to load and see what happens Especially since it came with some, 8 rolls of the Fuji and 1 of the Kodak, no Idea of age or how it was stored though. But didn't know if it should be serviced first, and feel clueless of settings. I can shoot full manual on my Panny, but it has a built in meter to show me where I should be.

Legion

Staff member
The film should have a use by date. If it is within a year or two of that, it will be safe to experiment with. If you hunt around, there will be instructions for that Gossen online somewhere, but all those match needle meters work the same way, so find one instruction, you should be able to work it out.

At this point, all you will be checking for with the first roll is light leaks, focus and exposure accuracy.

Thanks! Looks like the Fuji has a use by of 01-17 and the Kodak 09-14, so I guess the Fuji should be good enough. At least to see if it's working. There are a few flowers in bloom, I guess I'll shoot off a roll and see if I can get a decent shot from each lens. or at least get some test shots.

To figure out my setting could I use the meter in my GX85?. The base ISO is 200 and the film is also 200. So my thinking is I could set the aperture to the same setting and see what shutter speed the GX85 tells me it needs to be to shoot at base ISO. Also am I correct in thinking the focal length won't matter as long as shutter speed is fast enough to handle camera shake. I think I may need to be up at 250 or higher to handle the wind. Does that seem about right?

Congrats!

You should send it everything off to technician for cleaning and check!
Do that now before you have any compounded issues!
I only speak from painful experience!!

Congrats!

You should send it everything off to technician for cleaning and check!
Do that now before you have any compounded issues!
I only speak from painful experience!!
Thanks! That is something I was wondering about. I tried to see if there were any camera repair shops around my area, looks like any thing is at least a 3 hour drive. I suppose could send it off, but I'm not sure how much more I really want to put in it. If I'm being honest with myself I'm really much more interested in digital than trying to lean film. Really thinking I should sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I would and let them send it to there guy.

Thanks! That is something I was wondering about. I tried to see if there were any camera repair shops around my area, looks like any thing is at least a 3 hour drive. I suppose could send it off, but I'm not sure how much more I really want to put in it. If I'm being honest with myself I'm really much more interested in digital than trying to lean film. Really thinking I should sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I would and let them send it to there guy.

Sir Troy, I'm sure there are some shops you can send it to. Along with the lenses.
If you want to re-sell it, keep in mind that any buyer will assign big discount unless there is some sort of operating assurance. Now if you paid next to nothing, that's not such a big deal.

Have you seen the newest leica q2 full frame compact? looks really sweet. 47MP. fixed 28mm lens.

proxy.php

Sir Troy, I'm sure there are some shops you can send it to. Along with the lenses.
If you want to re-sell it, keep in mind that any buyer will assign big discount unless there is some sort of operating assurance. Now if you paid next to nothing, that's not such a big deal.

Have you seen the newest leica q2 full frame compact? looks really sweet. 47MP. fixed 28mm lens.

proxy.php
Those do look pretty cool, but I really am more of a GX9 or G95 as a dream camera kind of guy. Or maybe a Sony mirrorless. I really do love my little GX85 and am happy enough with it. Maybe need a few more lenses though. :wink2: Didn't pay next to nothing, but certainly won't loose money on it. :001_smile

Top Bottom