What's new

Vintage Horn Simpson

Got this in the mail today. From what I can make out after a quick wipe with neatsfoot oil is that it's a vintage horn handled Simpson 10 Best Badger. The horn was really dried out so its hard to make out the writing. But if you hold it in the right light you can see it. There's only one corner of the original label left also. The knot is really dense. The horn has some beautiful streaking in it. I'd love to soak it and sand it back smooth and shiny but I don't want to lose what little lettering is left on it. I have refinished plenty of vintage horn straight razor scales and they can look as smooth as glass if done right would love for this to look the same way.

The knot is 26mm at the base and has a loft of 51mm.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Was also curious if anyone else has any vintage Simpson horn brushes.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is cool. Ive seen many variations of simpson brushes. Bone ivory amber etc. Ive also owned a bone one which these natural handles usually lose the markings pretty easily. Never seen one in horn but it is very nice. Great find

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice brush. I'm thinking by the pics, if you give the knot a nice wash in apple cider vinegar/water/glycerin mix the knot might be salvageable if it retains it's original shape. I don't think I would sand the handle, but definitely polish it with a polishing cream.

Then contact Simpson and order a new generic label to stick back on it.

Thanks for the replies. The knot seems to be in good condition. But I am going to soak it later on. Either way, whether it gets sanded or not, the handle needs a good soak in neatsfoot oil to rehydrate it before it starts cracking. It was pretty dried out, that was just a quick wipe and it made a big difference.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'd be careful soaking the whole handle, you want to be careful to not get any oil on the knot

OkieStubble

I'd be careful soaking the whole handle, you want to be careful to not get any oil on the knot

Excellent advice. Also, Neatsfoot is more appropriate for leather strops. I would suggest walnut oil or flax seed oil. While these are food grade oils, both of these have the ability to polymerize when dried. They will help recondition the horn from it's brittle state and then when dried, leave behind a hard protective coating. Which will give the horn back it's shine.

I would suggest, instead of soaking in oil, which could crack a brittle handle, use a Q-Tip and rub on a very thin layer of oil, being careful not to get any on the hair knot as Georg advised. Let it Slowly soak in. Warming the oil first will help thin it's viscosity and will work faster and more effectively.

Dry off the excess, and then re-apply in 24 hours. Several applications of this along with patience will cure any brittleness.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
My apologies, Matt. Sounded like you were going to dip it. There's a thread here that I can't find (my search-fu leaves a lot to be desired) that discusses the care and feeding of horn handles. From what I recall, what you're doing is exactly right. I think Neatsfoot oil is what was suggested.

Excellent advice. Also, Neatsfoot is more appropriate for leather strops. I would suggest walnut oil or flax seed oil. While these are food grade oils, both of these have the ability to polymerize when dried. They will help recondition the horn from it's brittle state and then when dried, leave behind a hard protective coating. Which will give the horn back it's shine.

I would suggest, instead of soaking in oil, which could crack a brittle handle, use a Q-Tip and rub on a very thin layer of oil, being careful not to get any on the hair knot as Georg advised. Let it Slowly soak in. Warming the oil first will help thin it's viscosity and will work faster and more effectively.

Dry off the excess, and then re-apply in 24 hours. Several applications of this along with patience will cure any brittleness.

I've always used neatsfoot oil on horn scales, conditioning and preserving and have always had excellent results. It is rendered from cow bones so I don't see how it could hurt another product that came from the same animal.

I don't have any of the other products you mentioned, which in sure would achieve excellent results also, but I have lots of neatsfoot oil.

My apologies, Matt. Sounded like you were going to dip it. There's a thread here that I can't find (my search-fu leaves a lot to be desired) that discusses the care and feeding of horn handles. From what I recall, what you're doing is exactly right. I think Neatsfoot oil is what was suggested.

No prob man. It did sound like that as I wrote it. It's what I've always seen recommended for preserving horn.

OkieStubble

I've always used neatsfoot oil on horn scales, conditioning and preserving and have always had excellent results. It is rendered from cow bones so I don't see how it could hurt another product that came from the same animal.

I don't have any of the other products you mentioned, which in sure would achieve excellent results also, but I have lots of neatsfoot oil.

Sounds like you definitely have more experience with horn than I do. I have refurbished several older wooden handles, but never horn.

While I have Neatsfoot, I liked the thinner viscosity of Walnut and Flax. I also like the idea that they dry into a hard shellac coating which helps the wooden grained handles resist water.

Sounds like you definitely have more experience with horn than I do. I have refurbished several older wooden handles, but never horn.

While I have Neatsfoot, I liked the thinner viscosity of Walnut and Flax. I also like the idea that they dry into a hard shellac coating which helps the wooden grained handles resist water.

I might possibly have some flax seed oil, I'll have to look around. I'll def research it though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks everyone. After a good soak in neatsfoot oil and a little 3k wet sanding. Shampooed the knot and this sucker is dense. Pretty much identical to the chubby I had before.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom