What's new

Vintage Haslinger

I keep my supply of Haslinger pucks double wrapped in Ziploc bags in a hard-to-get-to drawer in my home office. While retrieving a new one several months ago I noticed a single puck in a small, open bag in the very back of the drawer that had yellowed in color dramatically. I pulled it out and chuckled to myself as I knew this had to be one of pucks with tallow and was probably sitting in the back of the drawer "aging" since 2017.

My first thought was no way that soap was going to touch my face as who knows what kind of skin reaction I might have. Yet curiosity got the better of me and into my vintage Old Spice mug it went and it was off to lather town. At first I thought nothing of the lovely lather as it was what I've come to expect - Haslinger Sheep's Milk is the only soap I use and I've been using it since 2016. However, after a few moments there was a new scent and oh my God it was immediately recognizable as my father's leather wallet!

(Back story - my father died in his mid sixties from heart disease and he was everything to me. It was hard moving into the prime of my life without him but I know he'd have been proud.)

So for a solid 2 months I got to savor thoughts of my dad and all that we did together as I shaved each morning using an aged puck of Haslinger Sheep's Milk.

:sailor:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wouldn't call a 2017 soap "vintage" as in the title but more like you said later, aged.
I've got Haslinger soaps from before that and they haven't changed color yet. Storage conditions?
I think of my dad when I use a vintage tool of his or listen to one of his old 78 records.

I wouldn't call a 2017 soap "vintage" as in the title but more like you said later, aged.
I've got Haslinger soaps from before that and they haven't changed color yet. Storage conditions?
I think of my dad when I use a vintage tool of his or listen to one of his old 78 records.
The puck in question was in a bag that wasn't sealed, in a wooden drawer. All the other ones are in double sealed bags but for some reason this one was not and just left to the elements of my office. Apparently tallow has quite a long shelf life so who knows what happened exactly. All I know is it smelled wonderful and worked as perfectly as it always does.

The puck in question was in a bag that wasn't sealed, in a wooden drawer. All the other ones are in double sealed bags but for some reason this one was not and just left to the elements of my office. Apparently tallow has quite a long shelf life so who knows what happened exactly. All I know is it smelled wonderful and worked as perfectly as it always does.

Outstanding!! Enjoy!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

great story!
enjoy haslinger soaps!!

haslinger shavemac puma stainless penhaligon sartorial janaury 24 2016.jpg

Top Bottom