What's new

Vintage handle costs

Hello,

I'm looking at doing my first refurb, probabily an ever ready or rubber set, it's probabily going to be an evilbay purchase, what you you all think would be a reasonable or average cost for a reasonable handle that needs a new knot?

Thanks Guys

There are many brush only auctions that go around 10 dollars, and clear plastic handles seem to go for a premium. Many times a razor group buy has brushes thrown in, making their unit cost very low - have got several this way.

Thanks guys, found one i like but the seller wants $40, now I know that's massively over value even for great condition.

I second the antique mall, or maybe a flea market. You *might* get lucky and see a Buy-it-Now with a brush handle you really like at a reasonable price on the Bay, but prices seem to be spiking for anything better than a beat-to-hell status brush handle. When you start talking $20+ for just a handle you intend to restore, some of the lower end brushes from England start to look not too far out of range.

Regards.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Try to get a lot of 4-6 handles. It will be worth it as you won't order 1 knot when you're done with the handle.

This type of bakelite handle has been commanding a premium price on the bay lately. I got lucky and scored it for 5$ at a local antique shop. I say be patient and check out some local antique stores and flea markets.
proxy.php

I have bought almost all my handles at antique stores or here on BST...$10 is about the most I would pay for the standard EverReadys or RubberSets. A recent BST multi-handle sale gave me several for just a few bucks each. Watch BST for sure.

A nice rich catalin or bakelite I have gone double upwards of $30 though.

Think I'm going to start hitting a few stores, ever readys and rubbersets arnt to common over in the UK though.

Local shops and markets are always a good source, although it is hit or miss. Ebay can be a good source but as always it can be tough to judge condition and end up over paying for something with a really bad crack in it. I have bought a couple and have had good luck. I also look at the shipping costs and figure out what kind of knot I would put in it. If the whole project is going to cost me over $40 then I pass.

All the above are valid. I have not paid over $5US for any and some came with other purchases for a pittance. Total of about 30 standing as shave cave decorations awaiting money for knots. Antique and junque stores are the best or, as someone said, a "lot" on the 'bay. Some places offered a cake of soap and a mug plus the brush for $5. I find that if I keep my mind open, I see things which I did not originally intend to buy. So the brushes and mugs just came cheaply about while I was searching for straights. You may find the opposite.
Respectfully
~Richard

As well as antique shops and the like, I like the look/prices of a few of these

http://www.whippeddog.com/As-Received-Brushes/

Larry's a great guy to deal with and the knots he carries are top notch to boot :thumbup1: I'd much rather deal with him than hassle with ebay and more than likely overpay

(disclaimer: I have no affiliation to whipped dog razors other than being a very satisfied customer :thumbup1:)

EDIT: great... i found one i couldn't resist... :rolleyes:

thanks a lot :lol:

Last edited:
Or check out Vintage Joe's he has some nice handles for a reasonable price. Golden Nib has new handles for around $20 so I wouldn't pay more than that for a vintage given the extra work that will be involved in cutting out the old knot.

Or check out Vintage Joe's he has some nice handles for a reasonable price. Golden Nib has new handles for around $20 so I wouldn't pay more than that for a vintage given the extra work that will be involved in cutting out the old knot.

IMO (as a hobbyist woodworker) it's not the price of the work involved as much as the price of the cleanup :lol:

As well as antique shops and the like, I like the look/prices of a few of these

http://www.whippeddog.com/As-Received-Brushes/

Larry's a great guy to deal with and the knots he carries are top notch to boot :thumbup1: I'd much rather deal with him than hassle with ebay and more than likely overpay

(disclaimer: I have no affiliation to whipped dog razors other than being a very satisfied customer :thumbup1:)

EDIT: great... i found one i couldn't resist... :rolleyes:

thanks a lot :lol:

Haha I was just going to suggest Larry. He also carries knots too. I installed one of his supers in a handle for him and it was very nice, and just installed a best in a handle from him and it is also quite nice.

Top Bottom