What's new

Vintage Gillette Tech with warped not original open comb base-plate (Help!)

Hi all,
Hope you can help. My dad just gave me an old razor. He's not sure when he got it, may even be my grandfather's.
He hasn't used it since the 70s and uses cartridge razors now.
I'm a newbie in DE Shaving (2 months or so). But I'd love to try his razor and see if it works and I can add it to my collection.
From what I've been able to gather it looks like a Gillette Tech with an Aluminum handle.
The top cap appears to fit with notches on a bottom plate. And obviously the plate it has is not from it.
And the bottom plate is badly bent out of shape even if it actually worked. I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can get a replacement safety bar/bottom plate. Thanks for all your help!

20200801_214542.jpg

That is a frankenrazor. The base does not belong to that cap.
Looks like an aluminum handle. The top cap may or not be a tech cap. It's hard to tell from the picture.
The cap that belongs with that base plate has downward projections sometimes called bullets that go through the holes in the base plate.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yeah, that's not gonna work, mismatch with a cheap stamped comb.

Welcome to B&B! You'll probably be best off buying another Tech to use for parts, they're pretty inexpensive.

That is a frankenrazor. The base does not belong to that cap.
Looks like an aluminum handle. The top cap may or not be a tech cap. It's hard to tell from the picture.
The cap that belongs with that base plate has downward projections sometimes called bullets that go through the holes in the base plate.

Yes I figured. No way it matches. And I've seen how the baseplates normally have the notches that match the top plate.

Welcome to B&B! You'll probably be best off buying another Tech to use for parts, they're pretty inexpensive.
Thanks nemo. Good to be here and ready to learn more :)
Do you have suggestions where to look? eBay?

Techs are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Great shavers, too. Try the Buy Sell Trade forum here if you have been around long enough. Ebay has its share of them, too.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You can also have a look through the local thrift shops, second hand shops and antique shops around your area. It can be fun looking and you can find some bargains.

You can also have a look through the local thrift shops, second hand shops and antique shops around your area. It can be fun looking and you can find some bargains.
Definitely. I look forward to going to those places now. Another thing I'll be hunting for now :)

Hi,

Aw. Too Bad. There were OC Techs. That looks like an Old Type clone baseplate, though.

The OC Techs are a bit harder to come by than the regular Techs.

Stan

+1! Great advice!

Welcome aboard!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hi,

Aw. Too Bad. There were OC Techs. That looks like an Old Type clone baseplate, though.

The OC Techs are a bit harder to come by than the regular Techs.

Stan
Right, that's what I thought before I opened it up. But clearly the baseplate doesn't belong to it.

Top Bottom