What's new

vintage Gillette Tech razors (any year) aggressiveness from 1 to 10?

From personal experience, how aggressive are vintage Gillette Techs?

• (6.0+) This razor is more aggressive than those below

• (5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models

• (5.0) Above The Tie M2

• (4.5) (no reference razor)

• (4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1

• (3.5) (no reference razor)

• (3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)

• (2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89

• (2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C)

• (1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)

• (1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

• (<1.0) This razor is less aggressive than those above

Results are only viewable after voting.
From personal experience, how aggressive are vintage Gillette Techs?

(6.0+) This razor is more aggressive than those below
(5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models
(5.0) Above The Tie M2
(4.5) (no reference razor)
(4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1
(3.5) (no reference razor)
(3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)
(2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89
(2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C)
(1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)
(1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)
(<1.0) This razor is less aggressive than those above

Can't see the poll?
If you are using Tapatalk or a similarly incompatible browser/reader, and you do not see the interactive poll above (with checkboxes), please feel free to reply to this thread with a one line comment like, "My Vote: Razor X is more aggressive to me".

With what razor blade?
Please assume that each razor is used with an "average blade". The rationale is that this poll will result in a summary something along the lines of: "usually the average Razor X is more (or equally) aggressive than/to the average Razor Y for the average shaver" ... so we probably need to avoid a ranking that is dependent upon any specific blades.

With what razor handle?
If a razor head was sold with many different handle options &#8230; please try to match the head&#8217;s aggressiveness with an &#8220;average handle&#8221; &#8230; to the degree that is possible.

Don't vote twice!
Please do NOT vote in both ways (reply and interactive checkboxes) on the same poll. However, if you accidentally do vote in both ways, please reply with an additional comment to help remind me to remove your comment-reply vote from the final manual tally.

Reminder:
Even if you already agree with the existing results ... please vote to increase our confidence in the poll!

Why this poll?
This poll is part of a series of polls towards averaging out the subjective experiences of numerous shavers, through model-by-model comparison polls, into a list of DE razors ranked by aggressiveness on a Scale of 1 to 10.

This poll will be open for only 30 days. Results will be added to the aggressiveness list in the &#8220;Buyer's Guide for Currently-Manufactured DE (Safety) Razors&#8221; in B&B&#8217;s Wiki (as a reference point, along with 2 other popular vintage models) ... and perhaps on to a list of vintage razors someday as well.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
triangle slotted tech or pre war are more aggressive than the post war. this needs to be noted and depending on which tech you have shaved with will influence the decision on this

triangle slotted tech or pre war are more aggressive than the post war. this needs to be noted and depending on which tech you have shaved with will influence the decision on this

Is the different all that noticeable? That is the general consensus, but if we are going to consider all those tiny differences he will have to make a bunch of new polls, which IMO is totally unnecessary. Techs are mild, not much more to add. YMMV of course.

I voted 2.0, FWIW.

Do you think the difference would be more than 1.0 on the scale? Perhaps differences just could be noted in the replies as two separate votes, and the official vote tally could just be the average?

I'm using a pre-war tech (NDC triangle slots) and it's way milder than my old Mühle R89.

I also have a post-war tech (NDC oval slots) which to me is a lot more aggressive than the pre-war tech.

I guess it really is a YMMV thing :001_smile

I'm using a pre-war tech (NDC triangle slots) and it's way milder than my old Mühle R89.

I also have a post-war tech (NDC oval slots) which to me is a lot more aggressive than the pre-war tech.

This sounds like to me like our best approach might be to average all of the Techs together (as we are currently doing here)?

so when you vote then which tech will you be referring to? i get it...techs are mild, but to alot of us there is a difference between pre and post war

so when you vote then which tech will you be referring to? i get it...techs are mild, but to alot of us there is a difference between pre and post war

If you have experience with more than one Tech, I would say average them out into one point on the scale.

Do you think the results will still be meaningful?

Thanks!
Shawn

i just feel the results wouldnt necessarily be for just "one" razor. but probably not that big of deal...

I understand what you mean. But I think the purpose is to find an average, a reference point to add to the aggressiveness chart.

Let's not get started on the NEWs then, because those can actually differ a LOT, and I still agree the best is to find the average.

i just feel the results wouldnt necessarily be for just "one" razor. but probably not that big of deal...

As these razors are decades old and have often had multiple owners, or even been thrown in to moving boxes and such ... wouldn't there be some bending and deviations even within Techs from the same year and factory? Could aggressiveness rankings for vintage models ever be precisely accurate for a specific razor model/year? Plus there is of course the whole YMMV thing....

Fortunately, the chart prominently indicates that the "aggressiveness rankings are probably only accurate within plus or minus 2 points" ... and I think this affords us some leniency in averaging them all out?

My pre-war Tech is a nickel ball end. I rated it as a 2.0 (what I put in the survey)
My post-war Tech is a gold ball end. I would rate it a 3.0
Average, I would say 2.5

I love my pre-war Tech so much I just found a pre-war nickel fat handle in perfect shape. It's on the way to me in the mail. All I use anymore are Techs. The pre-war is my daily driver.

I have wondered about bending and the seemingly aggressiveness of my gold tech before. Everything still lines up, but it wouldn't take much to throw it off!

Last edited:
I find the Techs are mild but for me, they're very effective. People who dismiss the Tech thinking it's too mild are cheating themselves. It provides a mild shave and it shaves as well or better than every razor I've tried. It's one of my favorites.

I find the Techs are mild but for me, they're very effective. People who dismiss the Tech thinking it's too mild are cheating themselves. It provides a mild shave and it shaves as well or better than every razor I've tried. It's one of my favorites.

+1

Mild doesn't mean they're not efficient. They just require a different technique.

Last edited:
Mine is a post war Canadian. The only one on the list I can compare it to is the EJ 89. If that is a 2.5, my Tech is a 1-1.5. I would say equal to a 2 on my Slim. I pif'd the 89 as it was too mild. The only reason I have kept the Tech is for days when I have to shave twice.

I have two post-war NDC oval hole Techs. One is a Canadian made nickel plated FH and the other is a USA made gold plated BH. I have a pre-war triangle hole Tech enroute. I will devote a few shaves to the Techs once it arrives and vote with an average score.
Thanks shawnsel for doing all work on these polls. I find them to be a great resource of info.

Top Bottom