What's new

vintage Gillette Tech razors (any year) aggressiveness from 1 to 10?

From personal experience, how aggressive are vintage Gillette Techs?

• (6.0+) This razor is more aggressive than those below

• (5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models

• (5.0) Above The Tie M2

• (4.5) (no reference razor)

• (4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1

• (3.5) (no reference razor)

• (3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)

• (2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89

• (2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C)

• (1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)

• (1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

• (<1.0) This razor is less aggressive than those above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good results here so far! The Tech has 21 responses, with an average ranking of "2 to 2.5"

Perhaps indicating a range like this might be the best way to represent the vintage models that had some variations over the years?

I didn't forget about this poll. I've been 'Tech' shaving for the last few days. Here are the weapons:
$image.jpg
Very mild shaver but enjoyable with good results. I find the triangle holed model a little more aggressive. Overall, I think an average rating of 2 is about right.

:badger:This poll closes in one week.

From 35 responses so far, the average is 2.27 on the 1 to 10 scale.

35 seems enough to place this on the chart (I'll adjust it in one week if it changes) ... it now has a spot in the "Very Mild (2 to 2.5) category:

Very Mild (2 to 2.5)Head constructionPrice indexAssemblyCountry of origin
2.5Edwin Jagger model 89 razors (Muhle 89 models are believed to have an identical head)chrome over (cast?) zinc alloy$$3 pieceUnited Kingdom (and Germany)
2 to 2.5?vintage Gillette Techs (1938- 1979) (note: from 35 responses, but survey still has 7 days left)plated stamped brass (plating varies) ... later years included aluminum and/or Zamakdepends on rarity and condition3 piecevaries
2.0?Parker TTO models (ranking is less precise)chrome over stamped(?) brass$$1 piece TTOIndia
2.0Merkur open comb models (ex: 25C)chrome over (cast?) zinc alloy$$3 pieceGermany
2.0?RiMei (ranking is less precise)stamped metal$3 pieceHong Kong

Thanks!
Shawn

I have no 'measure' based on your selections. I have both types of Tech and IMO I sense no real difference between the two. I would rate the Tech as very similar to the Schick Krona & the Feather Popular, however there is a different 'feel' due to the design of the Tech head. I love all three mentioned, but I think the Krona design is sheer shaving genius being the accumulation of all the good points of the past 50 yrs. of razors preceding it. The only + the Tech has over it is its ability to shave closer directly under the nose.

I don't have any US or Canadian made Techs, but I do have an EJ89 an I would rate my English FB Tech as more aggressive than the EJ. As I recall Jeff_H discovered that the English FB Techs were perceptibly more aggressive than the pre-war triangle Techs.

Cheers, George

I don't have any US or Canadian made Techs, but I do have an EJ89 an I would rate my English FB Tech as more aggressive than the EJ. As I recall Jeff_H discovered that the English FB Techs were perceptibly more aggressive than the pre-war triangle Techs.

Cheers, George

+1 George. With all the head designs, handle weights, etc, the Tech family is large. I had occasion to compare a 30s US Tech to a 40s English flat bottom Tech here in this thread not long ago and the difference was notable. Both great shaves, but one made you work longer for it.

I don't have an English FB Tech, but I'd think it shaves like ... a FB NEW? :001_unsur Because that's what it is anyway, a NEW with a safety bar instead of the combs. Or is it more aggressive?

I think the Flat Bottom NEWs are pretty mild ... YMMV and all that. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I don't have an English FB Tech, but I'd think it's shaves like ... a FB NEW? :001_unsur Because that's what it is anyway, a NEW with a safety bar instead of the combs. Or is it more aggressive?

I think the Flat Bottom NEWs are pretty mild ... YMMV and all that. :tongue_sm

Please pay attention Edgar, the conversation is about Techs.:001_smile

Please pay attention Edgar, the conversation is about Techs.:001_smile

It's the same head, the only difference is a safety bar vs an open comb.

I do have 2 English Techs, one from the 50s and the other from the 60s. The 50s Tech with the aluminum base plate is more aggressive, but it is still a VERY mild razor, well IMO of course.

It's the same head, the only difference is a safety bar vs an open comb.

I do have 2 English Techs, one from the 50s and the other from the 60s. The 50s Tech with the aluminum base plate is more aggressive, but it is still a VERY mild razor, well IMO of course.

Very good Sir, way to focus. You NEW heads need a little guidance now and then, but are fun to have around.:001_smile

Very good Sir, way to focus. You NEW heads need a little guidance now and then, but are fun to have around.:001_smile

Fess up Tom, you like us because you've been purchasing cheaper Fatboys since we started hyping the NEWs. :lol:

Heck, even the Bottom Dials are cheaper now ... And Toggles. All thanks to those NEW head guys.

Edgar, I believe the question at hand is not where the English FB Techs rate in aggression against NEWs, but where they rate against the EJ89. Maybe Tom has got you on this one. :biggrin1:

Edgar, I believe the question at hand is not where the English FB Techs rate in aggression against NEWs, but where they rate against the EJ89. Maybe Tom has got you on this one. :biggrin1:

I believe the question at hand is how aggressive Techs are?

Forgive me then, I didn't realize you guys were running a parallel poll, comparing to the EJ.

:whistling:

Last edited:
Top Bottom