What's new

Vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I'm considering getting on of these. Are there any specifics I should look for like make year, model number?

They're all good. There might be very, very minor differences between years, but these are differences that make no difference, if you know what I mean. As far as I know, the only slims that are worth significantly more are the gold plated versions, which in any case were called Aristocrats.

I agree with the above. Don't concern yourself about the year, but do note its condition. It's OK if it needs a good cleaning, as long as it's mechanically sound, and the plating is mostly there. Enjoy!

Agreed with the comments above. Just make sure it is mechanically sound and the plating is good.

They are great razors - good weight and the proper angle is easy to find. You'll enjoy it! :a14:

Agree with the above guys. Condition trumps everything. Be sure the doors open and close and the bar is straight.

Mechanics/Plating in that order. I have a '59 Fatboy that looked pretty awful when I bought, but it cleaned up and works really well. It still looks pretty bad due to plating loss, but it doesn't affect the way it shaves.
I just acquired a '67 Slim Adjustable, and after using it two days, I already like it better than my Fatboy. It seems a little more maneuverable - maybe because the handle is skinnier, I don't know. I still need to acquire a Black Beauty, and see how it compares.

Good luck!!

Unless you want a particular year/quarter because it's a birth year razor, say, there is no appreciable difference between them. As other have said, look for something that's mechanically sound and in decent condition and you'll be fine.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I saw one here in a antique consignment shop for $95.00. I thought was a bit much since you can get them for much less on ebay.

Top Bottom