What's new

Vintage Gillette Razors

Yeah it has been great. We are traveling from Connecticut to Nevada and camping all the way across. The campground we stayed at in Nebraska had an antique shop attached to it and when I saw them for that cheap I couldn't pass them up
Great discovery & there are still a lot of antique shops before you reach Nevada.

Hello! I am still waiting for my 46 Tech to replate after the overzealous cleaning ....in the mean time I scored a very clean 31 Goodwill 160 from Etsy. This time I did a 2+ hrs hand cleaning to remove the heavily browned lacquer using lime based oven cleaner and a toothbrush....inserting the before and after pics:

Goodwill1931_160_4BB.jpg

I used the following tutorial thread to rebuild the handle to repair hairline cracks and stabilize along with some extra weight to the handle -> Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

Head is loaded with a modern Silver Blue blade, there are 5 of original packaged Blues...maybe one day I will try one of them....thinking to make some type of vintage blade pin-board display for the bathroom...

Well, there are still ~ 5 hrs left on the epoxy cure for the handle rebuild - so tomorrow will shave second time. First shave on it was very pleasant. What a great razor!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I leave my laquer. I figure it as protection for that ultra thin gold. It looks nice though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Silly me! I meant to say I cleaned the lacquer using Lye (sodium hydroxide) based oven cleaner......not sure Lime would do much cleaning...:out:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thats what that red stuff is in the crevices! I've been wondering about that since seeing it on my NOS NEW LC. I had thought it some sort of wax or something to protect the gold wash.

I learn something every time I come on this forum! lol

Top Bottom