What's new

Vintage Gillette Razors most efficient help?

For me, the most efficient doesn't mean the best. The most efficient Gillette razor for me is New Improved or New Deluxe. though they are not the best Gillette for me.
Yes, I wasn't exactly saying the most efficient would be the best, it's probably a place for me to start.
Which the one do you prefer, best for you?
We kind of all have different preferences and this and that, that's what makes it sort of fun, for me.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm throwing in a plug for the Red Tip Superspeed. Its far and away the best balance of smoothness and efficiency in a razor that I've personally used. And obviously I'm speaking about my face and my beard, so, you know, heavy doses of YMMV. By comparison, I have a New Improved I like a lot. Its a joy to shave with, but not as efficient at the Red Tip. I've used Olds and NEWs in the past. The Old was fun; I don't mind a little blade feel. But it could get a little rough and red in places if I didn't nail the technique. I recall the NEW being much smoother, probably not as efficient. I don't remember if it was LC or SC, probably doesn't matter. I need to give the NEW another go.

Besides, the Red Tip, I would also recommend pre-war Techs and 40's-style Superspeeds as good combos of smoothness and efficiency. If you can get your hands on a Ranger Tech, those are awesome too -my second favorite, next to the Red Tip.

I'm throwing in a plug for the Red Tip Superspeed. Its far and away the best balance of smoothness and efficiency in a razor that I've personally used. And obviously I'm speaking about my face and my beard, so, you know, heavy doses of YMMV. By comparison, I have a New Improved I like a lot. Its a joy to shave with, but not as efficient at the Red Tip. I've used Olds and NEWs in the past. The Old was fun; I don't mind a little blade feel. But it could get a little rough and red in places if I didn't nail the technique. I recall the NEW being much smoother, probably not as efficient. I don't remember if it was LC or SC, probably doesn't matter. I need to give the NEW another go.

Besides, the Red Tip, I would also recommend pre-war Techs and 40's-style Superspeeds as good combos of smoothness and efficiency. If you can get your hands on a Ranger Tech, those are awesome too -my second favorite, next to the Red Tip.
Oh there you go. Gillette made so many razors it seems like,

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Oh there you go. Gillette made so many razors it seems like,
LOL, yeah, pretty much. And I didn't even mention the 40's Aristocrats, which some people like better than Red Tips. Unfortunately, I don't see any other way than trying everything you can and coming to your own conclusions, which might very well be that your first razor is the best one for you. I think that also might account for the popularity of adjustable razors, since its a lot easier to experience with the settings and find a good one without buying or borrowing a bunch of razors.

My vote is for the NEW LC, perhaps followed by a Fat Boy dialed up to 7+. Honorable mention may go to a 1941 Ranger Tech TTO (Super Speed predecessor), but I haven't used this one too often yet to reach a firm conclusion.

Sledge, you know I have to ask what happened last week?
I finally convinced (nagged, pestered, cajoled, etc.) Eric of Janus Razors to sell me one of his 6 prototypes. While I can't divulge what I paid I can give you a hint:
tis but a scratch.jpg

Found out recently a coworker was a wet shaver. Told him about all of my razors. He told me he just owned one, an Old Type. I told him that is all you need.

I got my first Old Type toward the end of my razor purchases and came to the conclusion that they got it right with the first.

Not trying to contribute to RAD but try and locate a WW1 era US Military kit. Most beautiful presentation of a razor I’ve ever seen.
Wait, did you say at the end of your razor purchases? Can there be an end to razor purchases? Haha , l hope so.
I looked around at those military kits, they're pretty neat.
I'm also looked around at some of those Pocket edition and ABC kits, also nice.

Wait, did you say at the end of your razor purchases? Can there be an end to razor purchases? Haha , l hope so.
I looked around at those military kits, they're pretty neat.
I'm also looked around at some of those Pocket edition and ABC kits, also nice.
Yep, sadly I’m done unless I sneak something past the wife

Yep, sadly I’m done unless I sneak something past the wife
Lol, I understand that completely, oh so well.
I've been fortunate so far and I haven't had much problem with, the committee, as the computer podcast guy says. He talks about passing something by the committee. Haha

Big fan here of the Aristocrat Jrs.
They are comparable to all Gillettes for efficiency and smoothness ... but for me they are better balanced; and just that little bit classier than the Red tips and Rocket HD`s I also love.

Besides those already mentioned I find the Gillette Senator quite efficient. Not that easy to find for a reasonable price but worth hunting for!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As a couple members have already mentioned, the New Improved razors are very efficient. I like my Bostonian or the Big Fellow - both about 100 years old ...
DSC00412.JPG

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow that's a nice looking set.
Edit: so are the shave the same, just different weight and handles?
Thank you. I think the heads are the same, at least to my eye, though my Bostonian (attached) example's head weighs a couple grains more than the Big Fellow. The latter is overall heavier and longer, but I enjoy the shaves about the same.

DSC00340.JPG

Thank you. I think the heads are the same, at least to my eye, though my Bostonian (attached) example's head weighs a couple grains more than the Big Fellow. The latter is overall heavier and longer, but I enjoy the shaves about the same.

View attachment 1355319
Good to know how they compare.
I'll try one, as I really like the Old Type and need to try the most efficient ones out, which I'm thinking those are.

Brother Keto,

The good news is you'll get a lot of quality suggestions; the bad news is all the suggestion will be YMMV. Unfortunately life is complicated.

Having said that, my suggestions would include the Gillette Slim (adjustable), the 1940's Super Speed, the 1930's NEW (SC and LC), and the 1946-1947 and 1948-50 Aristocrats.

Brother Keto,

The good news is you'll get a lot of quality suggestions; the bad news is all the suggestion will be YMMV. Unfortunately life is complicated.

Having said that, my suggestions would include the Gillette Slim (adjustable), the 1940's Super Speed, the 1930's NEW (SC and LC), and the 1946-1947 and 1948-50 Aristocrats.
Life can be complicated, so true. Had the slim and just got the 1939s SC, so I'm not real far off those suggestions, much appreciated my friend.

Top Bottom