What's new

Vintage gillette razor off eBay

Give it a good scrub with a tooth brush and some Dawn soap with some warm water and it'll be fine. If you're paranoid you can soak the head in some alcohol but it isn't necesary. As for vintage blades some people seek them out and actually use them but most just hang on to them for their collector value. I wouldn't recommend using them. Blade technology has come a very long way since then. That's an excellent razor by the way! Enjoy it!

+1 Great advice.

I use a palmolive Anti-bacterial soap and warm water, and soak the razor for about an hour, scrub and get all the soap scum off, then back into the soap water mix for about another hour. I dry it well, if not over night and then spray with some alcohol and let air dry as the drying is what kills things with alcohol the most (according to my dad who is a pharmacist). Then I just rinse and start using. So far this has worked with a Gillette Short Comb, a Fat Handle Tech, a Slim Adjustable and a FatBoy. All but one are from Ebay.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Overkill.

Resident infectious diseases physician here. I wash with Dawn and water, using a toothbrush to scrub. Then I rinse it off and dry it.
When it's dry, I apply 70% rubbing alcohol and let the pieces air dry.

Then, load it up and go.
Yep. This. Though I'm so forgetful I'd probably forget the rubbing alcohol!
Hey Doc, have you ever used Scrubbing Bubbles on one? I've got a Fatboy that I've used a few times that MAY have soap scum on it. If I can get a decent pic I'll post it.

And a friendly reminder from an old Cosmetologist that probably has Barbicide in his blood: be careful with that stuff! I can't tell y'all how many chrome plated stuff I've stripped over the years by forgetting to remove the stuff after 15 minutes.

Dave, I have used Scrubbing Bubbles before. It's great for removing soap scum.

If you wanted to be really thorough, you could start with Scrubbing Bubbles (I only leave it on for about 30 seconds to a minutes), scrub it off with a toothbrush, rinse, and then wash with Dawn to make sure all the Scrubbing Bubbles gets washed off. Then plus/minus the alcohol. The important thing about the alcohol is to make sure to let it air dry; it does most of its good work as it dries.

FarmerTan

Dave, I have used Scrubbing Bubbles before. It's great for removing soap scum.

If you wanted to be really thorough, you could start with Scrubbing Bubbles (I only leave it on for about 30 seconds to a minutes), scrub it off with a toothbrush, rinse, and then wash with Dawn to make sure all the Scrubbing Bubbles gets washed off. Then plus/minus the alcohol. The important thing about the alcohol is to make sure to let it air dry; it does most of its good work as it dries.
Lol, I hadn't thought of the drying effect of the ETOH. (Lazy typer, even on my fone, lol)

I remember one of my favorite nursing instructors used to tell us the alcohol pad was unnecessary most of the time before an insulin injection. Soap and water was just as good she said. I don't use anything but a paper towel before I poke my finger to check my INR. I've seen alcohol make a blood poke on a diabetic read high because the nurse I was training wouldn't wait for it to dry.

Thanks for the response sir!

I tend to use Scrubbing Bubbles as well, just make certain the one you buy doesn't have bleach. That's what I was told, and it's served me well thus far.

FarmerTan

I tend to use Scrubbing Bubbles as well, just make certain the one you buy doesn't have bleach. That's what I was told, and it's served me well thus far.
Thank you truly for that advice. I gotta post a picture of the Fatboy I got so cheap. I'd hate to ruin it, though it ain't perfect now. Maybe a before and after pic.

I clean all of mine whether they are brand new or old.
Soap them up and use a toothbrush on them. I then dip them in alcohol.
As far as the blades go, I have tried them and the Personna 74's are the best out there if you can afford them.

I use Barbacide to sterilize.

If you use a toothbrush, get an extra soft kind. Stiff nylon bristles will damage finish. No need to go overboard with cleaning, either. I don't even bother with nickel tarnish typically, as I use my razors to shave with more than look at.

You are right about the toothbrush. I always use a well used one that has become too soft for brushing my teeth.

Last edited:
I have an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner which removed the last bit of verdigris from the corners of my most recent acquisition. after I had done the Dawn and Scrubbing Bubbles treatment. Not entirely necessary but it saved me some scrubbing. Be careful because it will remove paint from the numbers on an adjustable.

Thank you truly for that advice. I gotta post a picture of the Fatboy I got so cheap. I'd hate to ruin it, though it ain't perfect now. Maybe a before and after pic.
I look forward to seeing it! Best of luck, and let me know how you enjoy your Fatboy!

I recently stripped off King C Gillette’s portrait and shaved with a Blue Blade. It has an E3 date code, so manufactured in the July through September window of 1934. The steel is quite a bit thicker/stiffer than a Super Blue Blade or a modern blade.

It was a little rough, but tolerable. One shave was enough.
This is it. It came with a razor that had both an E2 1959 Super Blue Blade and another E3 1934 Blue Blade loaded in the cap.
View attachment 1034122
Those Blue Blades are terrible. Nice piece of history to look at though.

That's good to know about as I have several of those blades. I have been thinking of shaving with one just to see. Not now.... :)

That's good to know about as I have several of those blades. I have been thinking of shaving with one just to see. Not now.... :)

Your avatar, is that one of those glass DE blade hones that takes the place of the inside of a drinking glass? Maybe that is the answer to getting a great shave out of a 90 year old Blue Blade.

Kidding!! :biggrin1::biggrin1:

But I’m thinking about trying it. :letterk1::letterk1:

I wish.... I have tried it along with other sharpening tools. Most work but this one doesn't but I fell in love with it's looks and so it's a very expensive paper weight now :)

Is it safe to use vintage razors or do you recommend sterialising them first also came with a pack of vintage made in England Gillette blue blades I take it leave them alone has anyone actually shaved with a vintage blade
I agree with the many comments here that warm water and dishwashing liquid should be enough for the razor, provided there is no significant rust, which there probably isn't, especially with a nickel-plated brass razor. The steel blades, on the other hand, are another matter. It always puzzles me how some here are almost fanatical about "sterilizing" vintage razors, when it is the blades that have the most contact with the skin, sometimes even penetrating it and drawing blood. I doubt there is much chance of infection, but I would examine any old blade very carefully to make sure there is absolutely no rust before using it. Better yet, keep the old blades for the classy vintage look but use new ones.

Top Bottom