What's new

Vintage gillette razor off eBay

Is it safe to use vintage razors or do you recommend sterialising them first also came with a pack of vintage made in England Gillette blue blades I take it leave them alone has anyone actually shaved with a vintage blade

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_172805.jpg
    IMG_20191111_172805.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 50

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Give it a good scrub with a tooth brush and some Dawn soap with some warm water and it'll be fine. If you're paranoid you can soak the head in some alcohol but it isn't necesary. As for vintage blades some people seek them out and actually use them but most just hang on to them for their collector value. I wouldn't recommend using them. Blade technology has come a very long way since then. That's an excellent razor by the way! Enjoy it!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It looks pretty clean so I would simply put the head into some very hot water for a few seconds, maybe with some washing up liquid. Perhaps give it a light going over with some toothpaste and an old toothbrush, rinse it off and you are good to go. I would not use the blades myself but if you fancy trying it then it should be obvious if they are unused in which case I would carefully clean them as with the razor and give it a go. I think people worry a bit too much about these things.

I'd give it a nice bath in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Scrub with a toothbrush, dry and sit back and smile at your gleaming new razor. Oh, and use it well and often.

I'm keeping the old blades collecting them go to world war 2 events and dress up so can put them in my vintage suitcase

Ten minute Barbicide soak for me. Then a quick toothbrush scrub with some hot water and Dawn, and it’s good to go.

As above, use dish soap, warm water and a toothbrush to clean the razor and it will offer as near zero risk of infection as you can get. Those blades look like they're made from carbon steel and will almost certainly have picked up a bit of oxidation/corrosion over the years, so probably aren't worth using. Rather more modern vintage stainless blades can often be excellent.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Resident germaphobe here.

I soak used razors in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap for an hour or so followed by 15 - 30 minutes in Isopropynol and then 15 minutes in Barbicide. Rinse under running water and you're ready to rumble.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Resident germaphobe here.

I soak used razors in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap for an hour or so followed by 15 - 30 minutes in Isopropynol and then 15 minutes in Barbicide. Rinse under running water and you're ready to rumble.

Just my opinion and YMMV.
Overkill.

Resident infectious diseases physician here. I wash with Dawn and water, using a toothbrush to scrub. Then I rinse it off and dry it.
When it's dry, I apply 70% rubbing alcohol and let the pieces air dry.

Then, load it up and go.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Overkill.

Resident infectious diseases physician here. I wash with Dawn and water, using a toothbrush to scrub. Then I rinse it off and dry it.
When it's dry, I apply 70% rubbing alcohol and let the pieces air dry.

Then, load it up and go.

Thank you. Understand it's overkill but it does make me feel better to follow my cleaning protocol. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I clean em first with hot water and a toothbrush/toothpaste. If they are really crummy I just soak them in boiling water then scrub as best I can.

I recently stripped off King C Gillette’s portrait and shaved with a Blue Blade. It has an E3 date code, so manufactured in the July through September window of 1934. The steel is quite a bit thicker/stiffer than a Super Blue Blade or a modern blade.

It was a little rough, but tolerable. One shave was enough.
This is it. It came with a razor that had both an E2 1959 Super Blue Blade and another E3 1934 Blue Blade loaded in the cap.
BE0E044E-DA80-472D-8CD8-26601BB0131F.jpeg

Simplicity is effective: I spray down a newly arrived razor in the sink with Scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. It loosens up soap scum on both razor & in sink, and is an effective disinfectant. I've used it for several decades on dive watch cases to remove the oil & crud that accumulates around the underside of the watchcase & in metal bands.

After cleaning and rinsing, I use compressed air to thoroughly dry inside & out.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great razor, enjoy it. I used one a few weeks ago. Great shaves. As mentioned by others, wash it is dishwashing detergent with a toothbrush and then if you must a little dip in alcohol. Never boil them, you will take the plating off. Believe me , I know.

Top Bottom