What's new

Vintage Gillette Question

I tried to search but came up empty finding anything. Apologies is I missed it. I’m wondering if either of the below were ever made...
  • Silver Plated NEW, Made in USA
  • Open Comb Tech, Made in USA
Thanks!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The well known tech is not open comb, but there are rumors of one and I've seen pictures. The problem is that Nacet had an open comb tech clone, and I'm not convinced that the reported Gillette OC tech is not just a Nacet with a Gillette cap.

I can't find a specific reference to a silver plated New, most of the silver colored ones were nickel or chromium. But Gillette did a lot of weird undocumented stuff, so it's not impossible.

I tried to search but came up empty finding anything. Apologies is I missed it. I’m wondering if either of the below were ever made...
  • Silver Plated NEW, Made in USA
  • Open Comb Tech, Made in USA
Thanks!!

Hello! I haven't seen an American Tech Hybrid, the ones I've seen are made in England.

As for a Silver NEW, there was the Cambridge Set made for the European market, which happens to be made both from the Old Type and the NEW era:

antique-gillette-cambridge-razor_1_549cc05ba3686886b30f7d41b360cdf9 (1).jpgantique-gillette-cambridge-razor_1_549cc05ba3686886b30f7d41b360cdf9.jpg

I'm sure it's not Silver Plated, but rather nickel.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you were to look at the British Flat Bottom NEW, and the British Flat Bottom Tech, they are the same except for the open comb versus the solid bar. They are both closer to a Tech then a NEW. Conversely the Hybrid Tech is like a closed comb solid bar version of the British Raised Flat Bottom NEW. Both of those more like the NEW razor than a Tech. I am unaware of any open comb Tech made in the USA.

The well known tech is not open comb, but there are rumors of one and I've seen pictures. The problem is that Nacet had an open comb tech clone, and I'm not convinced that the reported Gillette OC tech is not just a Nacet with a Gillette cap.

I can't find a specific reference to a silver plated New, most of the silver colored ones were nickel or chromium. But Gillette did a lot of weird undocumented stuff, so it's not impossible.
There is a recent thread. There we discussed the open comb Tech (a Gillette, not Nacet), Achim even showed a photo of the blister packaging. They were sold in French colonies. Please help identify Gillette made in England - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/please-help-identify-gillette-made-in-england.611789/post-11387436

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I went ahead and ordered a NEW LC. Looking forward to trying it!
You will love it. After many years and hundreds of razors through my rotation, the NEW LC is still a pleasure to use. I keep one in my camping kit, and it always brings me joy.

Top Bottom