What's new

Vintage Gillette Orange Blade - Help

Hi There,

I am looking for some advice on these blades. I paid more than I wanted for an Aristocrat #47 that was in near mint condition. I stuck it in the cupboard waiting on me getting round to the cleaning and Barbicide treatment before trying it. Last night I took it out to clean it and noted the box had a couple of blades in the holder. At the front was a nice mint single blue blade, nothing unusual there.

However below this blue blade were two of these,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both are sealed so don’t want to open them. From my searching today I have found that these seem to be the Gillette De Luxe blades from 1938. They do not say KRO-MAN like this auction (I think this is allowed as it is a BIN) mine just say stainless blade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-NOS-Gil...temQQimsxZ20090627?IMSfp=TL090627147004r26746

Checking MR Razors site they seem to be from 1938 http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/1938 (I1) Stainless Blade England.jpg

Now what to do with them? If they are as rare as my initial investigation seems to indicate then they are very hard to value. As I said I paid around $150 for the razor but the blades were just there with the box, neither the seller or myself had any idea they were anything other than vintage blades.

I am a shaver not a collector but I realise these might be a “missing piece” of someone’s collection, even better I have two so two collectors may appreciate them more than me and I would rather sell them here at a fair price than feed the ebay machine. A lot of guys here (especially soulshine) have been very nice to me and I would like to return the kindness to the forum.

Should I just stick these on the B/S./T and ask for an offer (is that even allowed??) or can someone suggest a fair price.

Are these just normal vintage blades because they do not say KRO-MAN? I have never seem them before so thought I would seek advice.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking if I could offset some of the the cost of the razor I'd be happy. Don't really want to milk it but thanks for the comment.

Those are just standard Britiish stainless blades. The Kro-Man's were made only circa 1930 and said "De Luxe" on the front and showed "KRO-MAN" and "STEEL" prominently on the back. They were also only made in the USA.

Thanks I knew someone would know more than me about these, so not fabled KRO-MAN but still relitavely rare.

Top Bottom